Dendroboard banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
6,716 Posts
Are we allowed to list websites we use here?
From DB's rules:

"Threads seeking information on vendors, sales leads, and similar inquiries will be heavily moderated. Asking for factual information ("where did you get your frogs?") rather than recommendations ("where is a good place to buy frogs") is advisable"

So, telling others where you purchased plants from is permitted and is helpful information. What we're trying to avoid is anything like reviews both positive and negative, and all the drama that goes along with reviews.

Edit to add: also, we're trying to avoid actual sales (whether overt or covert) in the discussion sections, a practice that is very strictly prohibited in large part so that we can keep the number of scammers here down to exactly zero, which is the appropriate number of scammer to tolerate.

Reactions: fishingguy12345

·
Registered
351 Posts
I'll just say this then:

My experience sourcing plants has been varied. Some places cater towards the hobby, and in my experience at least, they haven't necessarily been better (and sometimes worse) than a more generalist provider of plants -- and you're paying more.

The way I have found good plants for my tanks, in addition to the classifieds here, has been searching Etsy of all places, and then finding the corresponding webstores for the people selling the plants -- if they have one. The sellers generally prefer this anyway, as Etsy takes a cut.

A lot of the less exotic plants can also be found locally, depending on where you live.

·
Administrator
6,716 Posts
Checking the Marketplace here, and PMing or hunting down people who are currently or have in the past sold the sorts of plants you want, is a great first step.

I typically do a general web search on the plant species I'm looking for, and figure out who carries it. Then I do a dive into reviews of those vendors, and throw out any for whom I turn up any red flags. Then I figure out the math on what is most economical (if they have other plants I want, etc). Then I order what I want.

I don't personally think that buying plants has the same moral issues that buying animals does (except for trafficking concerns), and the risk of financial loss is pretty low (PayPal is a great tool in purchasing, and in any event basic viv plants aren't expensive), so I don't worry too much about where I buy from. Etsy and Ebay have a selection of vendors that makes some of this process pretty easy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I purchase plants from Facebook Groups, a Plant Discord Group, Etsy(though I read they are cracking down on plant sellers;/), Gabriella's Plants, and sometimes other small nurseries.

Gabriella's Plants is a small business with a ton of different types of plants and price points.

·
Administrator
6,716 Posts
Etsy(though I read they are cracking down on plant sellers;/),
Interesting.

Sounds as if they're enforcing USDA requirements (a good thing) but perhaps doing it badly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Interesting.

Sounds as if they're enforcing USDA requirements (a good thing) but perhaps doing it badly.
It sounds like it and definitely understandable for imported plants, but US sellers(not all-yet?-) have been affected aswell.

·
Administrator
6,716 Posts
USDA also regulates interstate transport of basically any plants and insects (including soil that can harbor insects) that can affect agriculture, so it need not be a matter for only imports.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did search for vivarium plants on google and the first result was Black Jungle, which I used to buy from in the past. I was looking to see what other options are being used by the masses these days. Thank you all very much for the pointers, I will be looking into everything suggested!

·
Super Moderator
1,079 Posts
I love grab bags/cuttings bags from vendors on here. For orchids (and a few other rare terrarium plants), High Desert Orchids, Tarzane Group and Andy’s. High Desert is local to me, I have known the owner for years, and they have great local events but they also ship very carefully. The Violet Barn has small gesneriads, Atlas Exotics has filmy ferns and some other miniatures, and Verdant Vivariums has lots of terrarium minis with a great mini fern selection.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I love grab bags/cuttings bags from vendors on here. For orchids (and a few other rare terrarium plants), High Desert Orchids, Tarzane Group and Andy’s. High Desert is local to me, I have known the owner for years, and they have great local events but they also ship very carefully. The Violet Barn has small gesneriads, Atlas Exotics has filmy ferns and some other miniatures, and Verdant Vivariums has lots of terrarium minis with a great mini fern selection.
Thank you for those

1 - 18 of 18 Posts