Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I keep looking at what I should be using for these guys as they really dont use broms. Substrate is ABG mix, on top of a thin layer turface and then false bottom. I think with having the depth in this tank I should be able to keep some decent sized plants.

So I am looking at large broad leaf plants with stiff stems to be able to support them climbing. I am thinking of these so far:
alocasia dwarf
anthurium?
Fittonia Verschaffeltii
philodendron birkin

I'm open to suggestions. I do have an area for a plant that would normally be a hanging basket as a there is a u shaped piece of wood on one of the walls that I can use as a planter or may just use it as a ledge (it has window screen lining it to keep substrate in).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you thought about Begonias? There are a bunch of Rex varieties that might do well.
I have thought about Begonias as I have used them before. I had "China Curls" and "Raspberry Swirl" both Rex hybrids. The only thing is depending on the conditions of the tank their leaves can melt. I am think of maybe Begonia Glabra

I'm trying to create more of a canopy with taller plants.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Cissus amazonica is another that I am looking at, probably for the "wooden planter"

Microsorum musifolium ‘Crocodyllus’ for the center of the tree work I have

·
Registered
376 Posts
You could always check Ecuagenera -- they have a US website and location (I think) with all kinds of medium-sized aroids and the like ...

·
Registered
107 Posts
You could go bigger and get a large orchid (phal or multifloral paph). I have a Rothschildianum in mine (they have a span of about 3 feet). Darts love climbing on the leaves.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You could always check Ecuagenera -- they have a US website and location (I think) with all kinds of medium-sized aroids and the like ...
Thank you for recommending the site, I'll be going through it today

You could go bigger and get a large orchid (phal or multifloral paph). I have a Rothschildianum in mine (they have a span of about 3 feet). Darts love climbing on the leaves.
That could be an option. I'll look into its care requirements to see if I'd be comfortable with one

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thank you for recommending the site, I'll be going through it today

That could be an option. I'll look into its care requirements to see if I'd be comfortable with one
Phals need to dry off their roots - so mounted on wood ideally that dries off between mistings (i.e. a bithigher up in viv). Phals you can keep in your substrate with wet roots.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I actually have a 3'x3'x2' leuc setup. I prefer hardscape planning when it comes to providing the frogs access to different vertical perches, and that's primarily what my frogs use for climbing.

In that viv I don't have many plants specifically for climbing, but more than any other, I find them climbing the peperomia 'serpens'. The plant tends to grow up a wall and tries to reach out horizontally as well. The growth pattern and sturdy leaves make for great ladders and bridges. It grows fast but has very minimal roots, so you can prune and shape it easily.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I actually have a 3'x3'x2' leuc setup. I prefer hardscape planning when it comes to providing the frogs access to different vertical perches, and that's primarily what my frogs use for climbing.

In that viv I don't have many plants specifically for climbing, but more than any other, I find them climbing the peperomia 'serpens'. The plant tends to grow up a wall and tries to reach out horizontally as well. The growth pattern and sturdy leaves make for great ladders and bridges. It grows fast but has very minimal roots, so you can prune and shape it easily.
I have plenty of horizontal areas in the hardscape. The idea with the plants forming some of a canopy is to add more usable space for them. I will look at the pep serpens.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts