Dendroboard banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay im sorry if this has been asked a million times before but i did the search and couldnt find anything but i wanted to know what everyone uses to plant plants on the wall of their vivs and such...im really new to this stuff and im going to start my build here in the next couple days for either some golden mantellas or thumbnails....

·
Registered
137 Posts
That is what i thought you were asking at first but then i thought you were asking how to get vines onto the Background not actual plants. What you are seeing is plastic planters GSed into the Background then filled with either ABG mix or Sphagnum moss even coco fiber works. Then the GS is sanded to take off the slick/shiny top layer then silicone is smeared on then coco fiber is pressed onto the silicone. You'll want to also overlap some GS over the rim of the planters so it looks as though the plants is growing out of the BG. Like i said i thought this was your question but then thought you were asking about vines.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats perfect! sorry i didnt make myself more clear....its 4:30 in the morning and im getting mad at my spouse for being annoying and i cant find any inspiration for how to do my tank.....thats the next thread!

where do i get the planters?

how do i make sure there is appropriate drainag?
:eek:

·
Registered
137 Posts
You can either find somewhere online to order the pots or plant nuseries should have some. For drainage people connect tubing to the part of the pot were water would collect and then run it into the substrate.

·
Registered
137 Posts
It's not a must but it's worth doing. so you don't lose plants. It's always better to be safe then sorry especially if it is a rare plant or a plant you really like. I didn't do it and i overwatered and ended up killing one of my favorite broms you can lose ones even from just over watering in a regular pot just sitting in a tray.

·
Registered
431 Posts
After the foam dries, you can punch a hole in the bottom, or you can use gs around a straw and pull the straw out after it's dried.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep....one thing after another...knocking the dog into me as they play....pulling my pillow out if I lean forward...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts