Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have much plant knowledge yet, and I have a simple question. I just want to know which plant would be best for bushy ground cover. Ideally the plant would grow thick and fast. Any recommendations help, thanks.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I don't have much plant knowledge yet, and I have a simple question. I just want to know which plant would be best for bushy ground cover. Ideally the plant would grow thick and fast. Any recommendations help, thanks.
"Mini baby tears" it's my only suggestion, I don't do ground cover plants. Ground cover is for leaf litter in my tanks.

·
Registered
387 Posts
How tall are you looking for this 'bushy' effect? I have to agree with @fishingguy12345 that you will want a good portion to be leaf litter. That being the case in order to get the best of both, you can look into something like Tradescantia zebrina for a taller look. This will grow like a vine, but overtime will bush up when there is no where left for it to wander around. Besides that you can also look into various smaller Begonia Sp. Those will give a bushy effect as well. Neither are solely 'foreground' but will provide you with cover and still allow for leaf litter under them, unlike carpeting plants.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya I meant like a taller bushy type plant. I already have an area of leaf litter in the tank and was for a dense type plant to "take over" the other half of the tank.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Ya I meant like a taller bushy type plant. I already have an area of leaf litter in the tank and was for a dense type plant to "take over" the other half of the tank.
Depends on how tall you want it. I have grown creeping jenny in my tank successfully. It will grow 1 to 2 inches high and take over an area pretty well. The frogs can walk on it as well. I have also grown dwarf mondo grass in viv, its pretty cheap at your local big box hardware store and you can plant it densely enough to cover an area. Grows 2 to 4 inches tall. Harder for the frogs to manage though so I recommend keeping it as accent.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I would recommend Syngonium species, they grow in a bushy form. So does Scheffleras, but they take over a tank quickly.
Gastrotheca

·
Super Moderator
2,682 Posts
Begonia foliosa becomes a small (~6" tall) bush very quickly, looks cool, and stays open underneath for leaf litter (which is very important).

Monocostus uniflorus would be another option -- can grow taller, and you'd need to mass stems for a bush appearance, but it grows quickly so it is easy to make multiple stems quickly:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for all the recommendations, ill have to try to get my hands on some of those plants and upgrade the tanks during my winter break.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts