Dendroboard banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am a bit lost. I have been researching plant lighting. When I look for full spectrum lighting, I get hits on google for more red or purple looking lights. I know that grow lights are more in that color range, but when I see tanks from people on here and elsewhere, I see light that is more appealing to the eye... more in the cool white or slightly more rich with the color spectrum. The lights I have on a majority of my tanks are full spectrum lights for planted tanks. They look like the latter I listed earlier, more appealing to the eye. I also use some 65k lights on several of my racks that are cool white and seem to produce plant growth, but nothing explosive. It keeps them alive and with some growth. But the question is, what is best? I want to have them look appealing to the eye, but I also want plant growth and healthy plants. I had thought of adding some supplemental lights on times when I am not usually home, ie while I am at work. I'm sure this has been asked many times before, and if anyone has any links to helpful information, I would appreciate it.

·
Super Moderator
2,451 Posts
"best" is subjective for lighting. I usually go for a light that has the ability to change the color hues and dim.
You can spend $30 on a light or $500 on a light, all depending what you want to do.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Full Spectrum LED grow lights are suitable for the entire life cycle of the plant and are equipped with mainly blue and red LEDs, often with the addition of specific wavelengths such as UV and Infrared. These grow lights give a purple light to the eye.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Full-spectrum should be just that, the full spectrum of light, so it should appear pretty much white. The sun is white light. I've had plenty of success with growing plants under regular light bulbs as the only light source. Blue/red/purple light makes a minute difference imo. As long as the light is the correct brightness for a plant it'll work fine

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help... and nice tank. Reason i asked is i found this a few days at a discount store for a dollar and wondered if it could help with growth

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
262 Posts
Thanks for the help... and nice tank. Reason i asked is i found this a few days at a discount store for a dollar and wondered if it could help with growth

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I never really cared for the pink look those kinda lights would give off... However... There are people who use those mars aqua black box Chinese lights off eBay with great success! Just not for me unless it's in a grow tent or something.

·
Registered
262 Posts
You have three of them over that one tank? I just looked at them and they say coverage area is about 3'x2', what do you think of the usable coverage?
I should have said I have three but now only use two. Three was crazy overkill. Two covers my 6foot 180g just fine. I do have them like 2 feet from the top of the tank though. I don't seem to have a better photo of the lights hanging. If you want one I'll get one this evening

·
Registered
48 Posts
I should have said I have three but now only use two. Three was crazy overkill. Two covers my 6foot 180g just fine. I do have them like 2 feet from the top of the tank though. I don't seem to have a better photo of the lights hanging. If you want one I'll get one this evening
Thanks for the reply, reason I asked is I'm looking for lights for my tank, its a Deep Dimension 150g (36"lx36"dx27"h) and was wondering if 2 or 4 would be needed. But when looking at those I came across this that I think I may go with.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
again, nice tank you got there. I don't really like the pink color either, but if i have them run while I'm not at home, it wouldn't matter. I may try to rig it up on the tank I'm growing in right now and see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Most plants will grow under any white light that is bright enough. They aren't as picky or selective as people give them credit for. High CRI lighting is generally "full or fuller spectrum" and will make your display look nice too.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Thanks for the reply, reason I asked is I'm looking for lights for my tank, its a Deep Dimension 150g (36"lx36"dx27"h) and was wondering if 2 or 4 would be needed. But when looking at those I came across this that I think I may go with.
Two covers mine pretty well. I think 4 would really be overkill. Those ones you linked are nice! I kinda wish mine had the adjuster knob.

·
Registered
262 Posts
again, nice tank you got there. I don't really like the pink color either, but if i have them run while I'm not at home, it wouldn't matter. I may try to rig it up on the tank I'm growing in right now and see if it makes a difference.
Yea that's a good point. I guess in that case, go crazy!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts