Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on a 36x18x18 vivarium for either terribs or maybe auratus. Im leaning more towards Mints for the purpose of my build.

I have a great stuff/hygrolon background that wraps the walls.What are you favorite larger plants to use for ground cover? Im interested in using larger leaf plants for vining and ground cover as well as a fair amount of marcgravia and maybe a few other vines to grow on and fill in the hygrolon.

Just here looking for some inspiration! TIA

·
Registered
501 Posts
I use a larger, plain green species of Fittonia (Fittonia sp. 'Peru') to help fill ground coverage in some tanks .. they may charge through it from time to time but don't hurt it. As it matures they really seem to enjoy lurking under the canopy it forms when it gets taller -- depending on the lighting the leaves can get surprisingly large at 4-6". If you can find it in the US it's useful because it grows fast and to an intermediate height, really useful.

I also use lots of aroids, mixing elfin Philodendron species in with bigger ones like Monstera adansonii. I seldom plant anything in isolation.

Philodendron grazielae is a great wandering ground cover ... medium-to-large leaves the terribilis will sit on, stiff stems, slow growing but easy to propagate. If it gets too high in spots I just prune it and stick the cuttings back in the ground directly. It makes a nice pairing with the large Fittonia I mentioned as it stays low while the Fittonia grows out of it.

In spite of their size I haven't had terribilis actually wreck any plants. The odd one knocked out of place, but they have strong opinions and aren't afraid to express them.

I've never used Bromeliads with this species because they'd be unlikely to encounter them as a general rule, but if you don't care about that they'll certainly use them to climb on and hunt around. The usual terribilis stuff.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I use a lot of Episcias in my terrib tanks. They spread fairly quickly, and look nice when established. There are tons of species and varieties, and lots of variation in flower & leaf color. They've got fairly broad leaves, and don't seem to mind being trampled by frogs all day. You can plant them up high and let them trail down, or you can let them spread as a ground cover. It's a super versatile and resilient plant.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I love philodendrons. You could look at a verrucosum, or a dwarf/mini verrucosum, though they are expensive and hard to find.
I was actually looking at the minis’s but havent come across any in stock lol I would like one or two larger bold leafed plants for vining/ground cover. Here is a list I have been messing around with what I can find. The first listed im not sure about and havent found anything about others having it in their viv’s.

Alocasia black velvet ??
Ludisia discolor
Triolena ‘red Ecuador’
Cissus amazonica
Various Marcgravia
Microgramma
Pilea depressa
Philo wendimbe
Epipremnum Pinnatum ‘cebu blue’
Golden Pothos

Probably not gonna end up with all of these but the main ones im interested id like to find better, bolder, and similarly sized alternatives are the cebu blue and the golden pothos.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts