Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I nabbed some cutting from a local nursery and they weren't properly labeled. I'm hoping to get some IDs.

Maybe one of the philos is "Brazil"?

Philodendron?:

Another philo?:

Not sure:

Finally what someone said was baby tears, though I'm still not sure. Part of it is dying off but the other 1/2 looks good. I took some cuttings and placed them throughout the tank so hopefully they will take hold and it wont all die off.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
#1 Philo scandens I bet
#2 definitely another philo maybe hederaceum

·
Registered
30 Posts
The first one is a philodendron which will do well in your viv but may have to be pinched back when it takes over. we all have something
the second is wandering jew, same as above except it will take over quicker.
the last is a pilea, will enjoy the dryer parts of your viv. looks like the substrate is a bit wet for it. try it in a tiny pot and submerge the pot in the substrate. misting should be enough water for it.

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
Alright, some confusion here with the mixed responses....

1. This is the 'Brazil' cultivar of Philo hederaceum. I see the yellow on the lower leaf.
2. This is the regular, typical Philo hederaceum most likely, seeing as how you got it at a local nursery.
3. It's a variegated Wandering Jew, probably Tradescantia sp.
4. This isn't a Pilea but rather, Soleirolia soleirolii. I find it difficult in the terrarium bc it traps moisture under the foliage and rots itself in a typical terrarium. It does like high humidity so I would probably toss cuttings around the viv floor and let it establish itself. This way, it'll find it's own happy place and won't have to kill an entire pot that's been planted in the viv.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Alright, some confusion here with the mixed responses....

1. This is the 'Brazil' cultivar of Philo hederaceum. I see the yellow on the lower leaf.
2. This is the regular, typical Philo hederaceum most likely, seeing as how you got it at a local nursery.
3. It's a variegated Wandering Jew, probably Tradescantia sp.
4. This isn't a Pilea but rather, Soleirolia soleirolii. I find it difficult in the terrarium bc it traps moisture under the foliage and rots itself in a typical terrarium. It does like high humidity so I would probably toss cuttings around the viv floor and let it establish itself. This way, it'll find it's own happy place and won't have to kill an entire pot that's been planted in the viv.
Absolutely right Antone,
I was concentrated on the main leaf that was in focus in the first photo and not the others. I see a possible yellow stripe on the bottom leaf in that photo.

I could not think of the Genus that particular Baby's Tears belonged to but I agree it is definitely not Pilea.

Todd

1 - 8 of 8 Posts