Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! Today I picked up a few plants from a local greenhouse & a friend, and I'm wondering if I could get a couple of these ID'd. The first three are a few ivy's. I'm wondering if they're all safe & if they're all the same species. The 4th, I believe may be some variety of Pilea, but I'm not certain. I was told that the fifth is a form of Salvia, but I don't know which. Next, I think is Swedish Ivy followed by what I think to be Spike Moss. The last picture, I have no idea... Thanks for any help!!
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,152 Posts
Be sure and wash them really well with a non-petroleum based, non-fragrance dish soap (such as Seventh Generation or BioKleen) if your friend used pesticides in the greenhouse. If you want to be ultra-careful, you can quarantine them for three months to allow for the pesticides to completely break down (if there was a systemic used).

If there were none used, then a bleach and water soak will suffice. Soak the plant completely in plain water for a couple hours before the soak so they will not absorb any bleach water later, then thoroughly rinse after the soak. If you use the Search function on the bar above, you can look up a thread discussing the bleach and water treatment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info so far. I have been reading about preparing plants for terrariums, and I was wondering why we use bleach? It is a very harsh poison. Why not use peroxide? It has most of the disinfecting properties but is not nearly as harsh.

As far as the chemicals used at the greenhouse, throughout summer they use Alaska fish emulsion as the only fertilizer, in the winter they do use a light miracle grow fertilization. They claim to use no chemical pesticides, the place is covered in butterflies, spiders, frogs, tadpoles, and such even out of season. I was only planing on using cutting, should I still consider a long quarantine?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,152 Posts
Thanks for the info so far. I have been reading about preparing plants for terrariums, and I was wondering why we use bleach? It is a very harsh poison. Why not use peroxide? It has most of the disinfecting properties but is not nearly as harsh.

As far as the chemicals used at the greenhouse, throughout summer they use Alaska fish emulsion as the only fertilizer, in the winter they do use a light miracle grow fertilization. They claim to use no chemical pesticides, the place is covered in butterflies, spiders, frogs, tadpoles, and such even out of season. I was only planing on using cutting, should I still consider a long quarantine?
The longer QT period was in the case of systemic pesticides. In this case you do not need to do that.

I don't know how to answer you on hydrogen peroxide; however, I think it may have more tendency to damage organic tissue on contact than bleach based on my personal experience with it...someone else can chime in on this, I really don't know.
I think that it may take a larger dose to do the work that bleach does, which might damage the plants. Anyone know why we don't use it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bleach would be much more likely to cause tissue damage, you can use peroxide as a mouthwash and would never pour bleach on an open wound. Many medical institutions as well as food service facilities have begun to use H peroxide in place of bleach. I just didn't know peroxide didn't do a complete job eliminating some type of micro-organism or if there was some other reason to use bleach. From my understanding the dose of peroxide would be the same as bleach but using an amount greater than recommended would most likely not cause any harm.

I had about a month ago added a couple orchids from Lowes.. Should I be concerned about this? Anything I can do now? Should I remove them?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,152 Posts
Bleach would be much more likely to cause tissue damage, you can use peroxide as a mouthwash and would never pour bleach on an open wound. Many medical institutions as well as food service facilities have begun to use H peroxide in place of bleach. I just didn't know peroxide didn't do a complete job eliminating some type of micro-organism or if there was some other reason to use bleach. From my understanding the dose of peroxide would be the same as bleach but using an amount greater than recommended would most likely not cause any harm.

I had about a month ago added a couple orchids from Lowes.. Should I be concerned about this? Anything I can do now? Should I remove them?
You may want to call the Lowes you bought those from and speak to the Outside Garden Manager.
When I was younger, I used to work at the garden center here and took a small drink of the water in the garden hose outside, and was shortly thereafter told it was UNTREATED city water...:eek: Gladly, I didn't get sick from it.

I also didn't get a clear word on treating orchids with bleach. I'm a little wary of it b/c of their air roots. Guess you could take a risk and see and let us know how that works out.

I still don't really know on the bleach vs. hydrogen peroxide, but I'd like to hear about using HO4 myself. Anyone else know the general consensus?
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top