Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've been looking for some type of plant that I could put on the cork backing of my tank ya know something to give a more realistic look. Well while on a vacation to
Florida I saw to different types of what I believe is moss well I know at least one of them is. I believe the one is just called Florida tree moss but I'm not sure about the other. If you guys could give me some names and best environments for these and if I can use them in my tank.

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, spanish moss and resurrection fern. I have some resurrection fern in my viv but they don't like being too wet.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Pics 1 and 2 are Spanish moss (Tillandsia usneoides), which are part of the bromiliad family.
Pics 3, 4, and, 5 are Resurrection fern (Polypodium polypodioides).

Spanish moss may carry unwanted bugs unless properly treated before being introduced to the vivarium. It probably will not survive in the constantly high humid conditions, but will look alive for a long time.

The Resurrection Fern needs to go through dry periods. In my experience, it has just rotted away in my vivs. Another concern is being able to "sterilize" the plant before introduction to the viv to eliminate any pest species.

I can not say I would recommend either one in your tank. Even though Florida may seem very tropical to you, we do go through extremely hot/dry spells during the summer.

Others may chime in to say if they have had luck with either species in a vivarium and what they may recommend in order to sanitize it.

There are plenty of tropical ferns that would do well in vivarium conditions however. Many can be found online from our sponsors or local froggers.

I hope this helped :)

** Ethin got to it before I did

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Resurrection fern does fine in the terrarium if cared for properly. the biggest problem is people disturbing the plants rhizome. its covered in small trichrome like growths which if damaged, kill that portion of the plant. therefore it CAN NOT be removed from what its currently mounted on. the entire mount must be cut out for the plant to have any chance of survival.

it does like to dry some between waterings but mine seem to prefer to be high in the tank and watered frequently.

james

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok well first I guess is does anyone know any plants that will grow on the corking kinda like the ferns or that will hang like the moss???( pics would be AWSOME)

Next the moss I can easily get a hold of some before I leave tomorrow if I decided to take some how can I "sterilize" it?

And last but not least THANKS FOR THE HELP!!! Much appreciated

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
I wouldn't use the moss in the viv. I think I remember reading a post on here about the dangers if it is ingested. I put resurrection fern in almost every viv I build and it does great for me. You have to take the layer of bark that plant is currently growing on in order for it to survive just as james said. Also, when I use it, it seems to drop its old "out of viv" leaves, but the new ones seem to be more suited to the conditions and less rot prone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.