Dendroboard banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a teacher and set up a planted aquatic tank in my classroom. We also have a small Sawback Turtle in there so there is driftwood exposed above water. I need to create a natural barrier so the little guy can't climb up the log.

At a local store, we found some plant ideas we'd like to use, but I'm unclear as to what they are, specifically the flowering plant. Please help me ID the plants and/or give suggestions as to what I can use. Below are pictures of my tank and the plants from the store.

We currently have Java moss on the driftwood to soften the wood and wick water; this way plants on the upper part of the wood will have a water source. There is also a small plumbed line to bring the water up.

Thank you for your help!!

My tank (picture is about a month old):

(more current with more moss planted on the wood)

Local Store:

·
Registered
68 Posts
This setup looks great for an aquatic turtle ;

the first plant is Begonia partita, it likes more a relative dry environment. You could try it, but there is the risk that is 'melts' away ...
Maybe make a cutting, and try that, so you still have the original plant.

Second plant is a Hemigraphis, this can also be used in an aquarium, so it is wel suited for a setup like this.

Regards,

Stijn

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Welcome. Stiijn has hit the mark. But many aquarium plants grow well emerged as Microsorum spp., Anubias spp. or Hydrocotyle. They are easy to find in aquarium shops. Very beautiful are the ferns of the genus Bolbitis.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much for all of your suggestions and information. I will definitely be looking into those options.

I have anubias already in the tank, but I just want to clarify the information from my local fish store: the plant in the lower left corner of the picture below is the anubias, correct? Could I just take a clipping of this and plant it into the wood??

1 - 4 of 4 Posts