Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I created this tank a while back ago and never planted it. I was in between moving and held off. Now that I have settle down in an apartment, I'm ready.

Tank: 18x18x24 exo terra
Background: fake rock ( Styrofoam and drylok)
Substrate: ABG mix with false bottom
Misting: mist king setup
Lighting: tincman Herps LED 20W mix color spectrum
Lid: Sherman Tanks Custom Exo Terra Lid

I do eventually want a pair or a trio of Ranitomeya. With this being said I need some help on painting options. I know it is becoming colder where I live.Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I really like the rock wall! Some Marcgravia would look great on it. For this tank, I'm envisioning some bromeliads on the wood, some low growing begonias in the back or the foreground, and some Peperomia emarginella growing onto the background. Don't forget a generous layer of leaf litter and a few attractive seed pods!
Just my opinion tho! Good luck! This tank has great potential! ;)

Gastrotheca
-----------------------------
Crested Gecko 0.2.0

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really like the rock wall! Some Marcgravia would look great on it. For this tank, I'm envisioning some bromeliads on the wood, some low growing begonias in the back or the foreground, and some Peperomia emarginella growing onto the background. Don't forget a generous layer of leaf litter and a few attractive seed pods!
Just my opinion tho! Good luck! This tank has great potential! ;)

Gastrotheca
-----------------------------
Crested Gecko 0.2.0

Thank you for the advice. I definitely agree that this tank has some great potential. The bromeliads on the wood would be a great idea. I also like the other suggestions as well. Definitely in need trailing plants and some seed pods.

How does one mount Bromeliads to the wood?

·
Super Moderator
2,683 Posts
I would eliminate the standing water in the front right corner. Thumbs will deposit tads in there, and the tads will go under the substrate to die. Then level out the substrate and add a couple gallons of leaf litter.

More wood would be beneficial, a couple more pieces angled in there, and Neoregelia tied on with zip ties or twist ties and a little sphagnum at the roots.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would eliminate the standing water in the front right corner. Thumbs will deposit tads in there, and the tads will go under the substrate to die. Then level out the substrate and add a couple gallons of leaf litter.

More wood would be beneficial, a couple more pieces angled in there, and Neoregelia tied on with zip ties or twist ties and a little sphagnum at the roots.

I did think about that, just remove that water section in the front right corner. Just needed to hear that from someone else. The only issue is, I screwed up. I never drilled a hole to drain the water under the drainage layer. I have to figure out what to do for that.

Thank you for the advice!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did think about that, just remove that water section in the front right corner. Just needed to hear that from someone else. The only issue is, I screwed up. I never drilled a hole to drain the water under the drainage layer. I have to figure out what to do for that.
Put a piece of pvc upright in the pond section when you fill it in, a loose cap, and cover with leaf litter. Then you can stick a hose in as needed to suction out water.

As for mounting bromeliads or other plants, a dab of cyanoacrylate (super) glue works well.

·
Registered
56 Posts
How is your plant plan coming along?

Personally, I think most Neoregelia will be too big for that tank. One of the smallest ones I know of is ‘Chiquita Linda’, that would be a good option. Most begonias also get 12”+ tall and would overwhelm the tank without a lot of pruning, but there are some smaller species.

With only two mist heads, you will have some wet spots and some dry zones. I would recommend mini orchids for the wet spots, and I’m not sure about the dry zones but you can have plants climb into them. To test how wet an area is, if moss will readily grow and stay green there, that’s usually good for the mini orchids that don’t have pseudobulbs.

A few plants that I really like that will stay small:

Macodes petola, in a moist but not soaked spot of the terrestrial area, toward the back. It gets about 8” tall. People find it fussy, but it has always grown easily and vigorously for me.

Chirita tamiana or a mini Sinningia, in the foreground of the terrestrial area

Lepanthopsis astrophora, midway up the background in a spot that is always moist - you can see pics of mine, it’s pretty much constantly blooming. I love that plant.

A trailing Peperomia - prostrata or emarginella.

Marcgravia, Solanum or Ficus thunbergii, planted in the back of the terrestrial area and climbing up the back.

A mini, trailing African violet - I haven’t grown these myself but want to.

Tillandsias, high up on the background in spots that dry out - there are lots of cool Tillandsias out there, but ionantha is easy to come by and stays small. Personally I really like the variety ‘Guatemala’. Tillandsia funckiana is twisted and almost alien. Tillandsia capitata 'Dominican Republic' is a silvery purple when dry and maroon when wet.

Any mini fern, like Davallia parvula or Elaphoglossum peltatum or a mini Adiantum

Tip: any of the ferns you’ll find in a hardware store or even on most vivarium sites get too big and look really coarse, but there are people selling clippings of really cool, actually mini ferns on this site, as well as most of the other plants I listed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts