Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few plants, both oxalis in the pics, and a begonia thelmae, that are turning pale red/pink around the edges of the leaves. The Oxalis triangularis even has two stalks that are dead or dyeing.

My setup consists of 2-3 inches of gravel, 1.5-2.5 inches of T&C substrate mix(basically the ABG mix). Both tanks are bright light and constantly moist substrate environments.

any ideas?

thanks,

·
Registered
507 Posts
plant pigments

I grow the larger species of oxalis under two fluorescent bulbs and the color stays the dark purple. Depending on the amount of light some plants will adjust the concentration of pigment cells to balance food production. I have experienced this with many aquatic plants. My botany days in college are a bit fuzzy so you may get a more detailed explanation from others on the board.

Thanks
Eric

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
oxalis

Hello.

I have a few oxalis species and know for a fact that mine go dormant usually around January to March. By dormant, I mean that they will drop their leaves and lose their color as you have described. If you allow them to dry out for a few weeks and water them less frequently you can let them be dormant for a while and then slowly boost up the moisture after a period of a month or more and bring them back. They need well drained soil by the way and the mixture you're using is not familiar to me.

Good luck,

Justin

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I have the top species of oxalis, and I haven't seen the discoloration that the picture shows. I don't know if I would call my soil well drained, it's constantly moist. The oxalis seems to shoot roots down through 4 inches of substrate to the false bottom. They are right in the area where I feed the frogs, so they're constantly getting trampled from lunging amphibians, and they're still flowering like mad. I have a CF light fixture, and they seem to like it a lot. Perhaps yours aren't getting enough light?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Arklier said:
I have the top species of oxalis, and I haven't seen the discoloration that the picture shows. I don't know if I would call my soil well drained, it's constantly moist. The oxalis seems to shoot roots down through 4 inches of substrate to the false bottom. They are right in the area where I feed the frogs, so they're constantly getting trampled from lunging amphibians, and they're still flowering like mad. I have a CF light fixture, and they seem to like it a lot. Perhaps yours aren't getting enough light?
I talked to Harry at cloud jungle and he suggested I might have too much light. Apparently oxalis are shade lovers, and my 3 x 36w cf over a 15H might be too much. Whatever case is though, I am definitely losing them, and need a replacement. I may put a gesneriad in there...maybe a lipstick plant.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I think too much light is a likely cause. That is typically what the 'burning' of the leaves looks like. But I don't often see complete death of the stem associated with photoinhibition, so there may well be something else going on. As for what I can't think of anything right now.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i will agree that you are cooking those guys......

Maybe a piece of driftwood or something to shade the area?

looking for a replacement plant, why not try a brom of some type?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. I have decided to reduce the light in one tank, but not the other. Hopefully the oxalis in the reduced light tank will make it. I hope so, I really like it! In the other, I will just have to find a replacement.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts