Dendroboard banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm new here. I've been lurking for a couple weeks and am ready to jump in. I'm building a 29 gallon paludarium (might post a thread with pics throughout process).

I have a noob question about plants for the tank. In general it seems most people recommend cleaning plants before placing into the viv.

- The primary question is, do I have to completely remove all of the soil from the roots?

- Does removing all of the soil damage the plant or stunt it's growth at all?

- If I am left with a bare-root plant, is there anything special I should do when planting it in the viv to help it along?

- How do I clean the plant? Do I just rinse it all out in water until I'm left with the plant itself, then do a bit of bleach and water soak?

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

·
Registered
701 Posts
Hi everyone, I'm new here. I've been lurking for a couple weeks and am ready to jump in. I'm building a 29 gallon paludarium (might post a thread with pics throughout process).

I have a noob question about plants for the tank. In general it seems most people recommend cleaning plants before placing into the viv.

- The primary question is, do I have to completely remove all of the soil from the roots?
Yes, most people grow plants out of the tank with perlite and fertilizers.
- Does removing all of the soil damage the plant or stunt it's growth at all?
It will stunt it for the first week, while it grows more roots.
- If I am left with a bare-root plant, is there anything special I should do when planting it in the viv to help it along?
Not really, just plant in substrate or on background.
- How do I clean the plant? Do I just rinse it all out in water until I'm left with the plant itself, then do a bit of bleach and water soak?
Yup
Thanks for any help or suggestions!
Are you sure you want to do a paludarium for your first tank? Darts don't use water, with from what i've seen, exception of terribilis.

Reactions: Pumilo

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Neontra,

Thanks for your reply and help. Sorry I forgot to mention the paludarium is not for DF's it's for my japanese firebelly newt. I am moving so I figured I'd make a nicer tank than what he's in now (although the current paludarium is still pretty good IMO). Thanks again and even though I don't keep DF's I still think this is one of the best forums for vivs and stuff so hopefully I can hang around...in fact Grimm referred me here after I messaged him about his Peninsula build video that I found on youtube.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
You can't always get all of the dirt, but wash as much as possible out under running water.
Do a 10 minute soak in a 5% bleach solution. (19 cups of water to 1 cup of bleach)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
You can't always get all of the dirt, but wash as much as possible out under running water.
Do a 10 minute soak in a 5% bleach solution. (19 cups of water to 1 cup of bleach)
Doug, would i soak the WHOLE plant -not just the roots?

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Yes, the whole plant. Make sure it is fully hydrated first and not "thirsty". You don't want it drinking the bleach. Some mosses and live sphagnum may actually bleach yellow from this but they have come back just fine for me. No problems with every other plant I've bleached.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Thank you, Doug!! Will do. Afraid to stick plants in a big bucket of bleach but will trust the Bug Master.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What kind of fertilizers are ok to use with frogs??
Thanks,
Patricia
Patricia, you may want to post a new thread about this question. Probably would get more replies on a new thread titled something like "safe fertilizers to use in viv?" or something. I don't know the answer so I'll let the experts help, but I would say you should use only organic fertilizers

·
Registered
82 Posts
I picked this plant up to put into a qt I put together for a new frog I'm going to be getting.

sorry it's a cell phone pic

I got it from Lowes, it's an anthurium scherzerianum. My question is, should I just rinse the dirt off well and put it in, or is it strong enough to withstand a bleach dip? Is it ok since I bought it from Lowes or should I stick with another supplier? I don't plan on buying anything else from there, I just saw it and thought it will do ok for some cover in the qt and after the display tank is up and going I can transfer it.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Wash off the dirt and do the bleach dip. This will help to reduce possible pathogens, snails, and slugs. I have used plants from Lowe's. I try to purchase plants ahead of time. I like to give them 6 weeks to age after their cleaning to help to eliminate systemics (poison sprays) from the plants.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I would. I clean them, bleach them, and age them on a windowsill with a 65K Power compact to give them some extra light. Then, when I'm ready, I give them one last quick rinse to get most of the new dirt off and start viv building.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts