Dendroboard banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting together an order for just a few items from Kartuz Greenhouse. The have some pretty cool plants.

I might see the box in just a few days!

I'll post pictures.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They have some desirable species begonias. I wish I knew my way around gesneriads better because they have quite of them too. And I'm going to get that little dwarf ginger Monocostus uniflorus.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Nope, I just like the look of it. Although it doesnt have the typical ginger flowers I love

·
Registered
505 Posts
I've kept that plant in a 10 gallon viv for 7 years now.

I've got another species that grows very fast and needs trimming.

great plant though
ERic

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have Costus woodsonii going mad in a thirty gallon that I trim every week or two. I can spare cuttings if anyone's interested.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have Costus woodsonii going mad in a thirty gallon that I trim every week or two. I can spare cuttings if anyone's interested.
Does that plant start to get too big in your setup? Depending on how it grows I might like to trade for a division.

The coolest small gingers are those Kaempferia and Cornaempferia, but they have obligate dry season dormancy requirements so I don't know if you could manage them very well in a viv. Globba spp. are also small and commercially available but also with dormancy requirements.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I never got around to placing the order with Kartuz because I needed some other supplies and instead combined plants from another store with those. Here is what I will have coming on the way...
  • Seemania sylvatica
  • Blechnum brasiliense
  • Asplenium x ebenoides
  • Monocostus uniflorus
  • Begonia species U496

You might be able to guess where these are coming from.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Costus woodsonii Awesome plant.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I'd like to try that one too. There are doubtless many other small gingers that might work in a viv, but only a few with very much availability in the trade.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Well I never got around to placing the order with Kartuz because I needed some other supplies and instead combined plants from another store with those. Here is what I will have coming on the way...
  • Seemania sylvatica
  • Blechnum brasiliense
  • Asplenium x ebenoides
  • Monocostus uniflorus
  • Begonia species U496

You might be able to guess where these are coming from.
That's funny because a couple of those plants may have come from Kartuz anyway. I was just at Kartuz this week and he was telling me that he had just sent some plants to Black Jungle. :D

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah their lists overlap some I wondered if Black Jungle might source stuff at Kartuz.

I hope these plants will get here OK I am excited to see them.

It's always fun to get a box in the mail with new plants.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts