Dendroboard banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the encouragement of what I've seen on this forum, here are some pix of my first terrarium:

Full View:

Left side:

Right side:

Dave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tank is a 50 gal with dimensions of 36" L x 16" W x 20" H. It used to be a reef tank and that thing is an overflow. I'm having a tank custom built to replace it. That's why there are no frogs in there yet.

The new tank will be the same size except 3" shorter and will be drilled in the bottom and the back. With the bottom hole for drainage, the tank will be setup with a false bottom with either LECA or some other media. The humidifier will be plumped through the back hole.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I like the moss; is it live? Some people argue frogs will ingest those long moss threads when lunging forward to a fruit fly; but most likely they will regurgitate it.

M.N

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No the moss is not live. I've been waiting a few weeks for the local pet shop to get some live stuff in. Finally got inpatient and got the dead stuff. Once the new tank is setup, I'll mail order some live moss.

Thanks for the info re: the long threads! I'm new to viv's and can use all the help/advice everybody on this board is willing to give. Can you recommend some good live moss? I'd prefer a moss that was native to Central America if anybody sells it.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Looks like it might be coming back. A lot of mosses reproduce via spores, which can last a long time. So the spores that were dropped when the moss was alive might be germinating.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Spaghum grows all over the world, and to me is one of the most attractive mosses i have yet to see. It has aneon green color, and compact growth in the right conditions.

Ryan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ryan said:
Spaghum grows all over the world, and to me is one of the most attractive mosses i have yet to see. It has aneon green color, and compact growth in the right conditions.

Ryan
Can you recommend a certain species of Spaghum?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Only on this board will we speak about moss and get excited. Speaking of which, has anybody tried that live moss that Black Jungle has?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Very nice Viv, i like it a lot. The little moss cave thing is cool.

On another note, in my viv the shagnum has started sprouting leaves.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
With the the live tropical moss, some of the dead moss was removed. here is a pix with the live tropical moss from Black Jungle.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts