Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm seriously considering using mostly pink styrofoam to make artificial rocks, as described here:

http://greenstouch.com/articles_background.htm

...however, i went to home depot and the foam they have is for insulation purposes, and as such they don't have any pieces that are thicker than say 3 inches... if i want to make some serious rock formations, ideally i use something thicker. does anyone know where i can obtain a nice block of pink styrofoam? i know almost every package in the work uses styrofoam, but that's usually the white stuff that's more granular and difficult to cut the way you want it to... supposedly the pink foam is much easier to manipulate..

any online stores?

thanks,
-sam

·
Registered
282 Posts
3 inches is usually the thickest you will find...why would you need thicker? You can easily stack the 3'' pieces to get 6'' and then 9'' That’s what I do anyways. A chunk of foam that is really thick would also be really expensive.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
good point... i just wasn't sure whether there'd be really prominent seams from glueing together pieces.. but i suppose the marine epoxy layer would take care of that

thanks,
sam

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I am not sure how large that foam cutter is but they sell one that looks similar to it for $8 at craft stores, its called a hot wire cutter, it is near the foam. I use it to cut foam for shipping boxes.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i just looked at the price, holy shnit. i got mine for 10 bucks

·
Registered
19 Posts
As long as the foam is on the stiff side you can cut it with steak knives. I did that with great stuff foam spray insulation.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Dude, pink styrofoam is awesome! :D I've used a ton of it. Right now, i'm in the process of using it on the outside of the tank. I've cut these awesome rock formations, and then cover with latex paint, sand, and peat. It's pretty unbelievable what you can do. I'm just waiting until it warms up so I can finally paint my clawed frog rock formation with epoxy. Get some sand paper, a steak knife, and grapefruit spoon, and some sand paper. Plus, some creativity. Have fun! :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts