Dendroboard banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up one of these in bloom at of all places, the craft show my mother's other half was working at this weekend. I got a nice one with a couple of flowers on it for a fairly decent price. I've planned to upgrade my azureiventris tank, and this one I think would do well in it, despite being from Mexico and they're Peruvian. But has anyone else grown these in terraria? I was wondering if they needed adry dormancy or not, as they typically grow in concretions of calcium on the sides of cliffs, much like almost everything else I have seen in my travels in eastern Mexico. I searched the archives and I didn't see anything on this species. I don't think I have to worry about it eating my azureiventris. They did tell me about being in a flower show in Philly and someone bought a Dionaea and it was for a PDF tank and they warned im about it, and it ate one of his frogs, but I don't think I have anything to worry about with Pings.

Zac

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, so it sounds like it should go in my windowsill and dry out then. I have a nice sunny windowwhich I am sure would suffice. So I just need to stop the watering then?

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Not stop, just significantly reduce. Make sure it's getting plenty of light to ensure it doesn't get etiolated. In spring they start to produce the carnivorous rosette, and water can be slowly increased. I highly recommend a porous, mineral based medium. It will bloom at the height of summer. In the fall, it will revert to the succulent rosette, and watering should be reduced. They bloom a second time dring the winter.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, then I will repot it out of the peat it is in then. What do you suggest as far as mineral soil? Perlite heavy? I have some large chunk vermiculite sitting in the closet from some plants we got shipped in bare-root from some vendor a while back at work.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Ok, then I will repot it out of the peat it is in then. What do you suggest as far as mineral soil? Perlite heavy? I have some large chunk vermiculite sitting in the closet from some plants we got shipped in bare-root from some vendor a while back at work.
If you can find it, I'm a huge fan of pumice, as it doesn't float as bad as perlite. Lava cinder is also a good choice, black tending to be less acidic than red. I can give you my recipe, but you'll want to adjust for your local climate (it's usually pretty dry here, they need water at least once a day in summer, once every week or two in winter), and it may not be exact (been a long time since I've had Mexican Pings).

3 parts pumice (or lava cinder, in whole or part)
2 parts fine coco fiber
1 part vermiculite (the lare kind probably better for humid areas, even better when sifted)
Handful of horticultural gypsum.

Good luck, and make sure to document the seasonal changes for us!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I'll keep you posted. I've been researching this on the interwebs, and I find myself more and more confused as to how to treat it, as some say let them dry completely and others say to keep them watered, and some say to have organics in the soil, and others say mineral. I'm no newb at growing plants, nor of growing Mexican plants, but I find myself scratching my head and going, huh a lot of the time now. They said they grew this one from TC from AgriStarts, a sompany we use at work as well. I'd say the rosette is about 6 inches wide. it appears to still be in active growth.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I had thought about leaving it potted and putting it in one of the tanks, in a media that I would have covered with sphagnum or something to prevent frogs getting it, and having at least a 12 hour photoperiod. But I don't know yet. That 29 just got moved from my moms to my apartment yesterday, when I had access to a van, because I couldn't get its stand in my car. I'd love to find a nice big chunk of tufa or something to grow it in in the tank because azureis like rocky area in the wild.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I bet rock wool would work well also. I'm sure you could make an artificial rock planter for it, and cycle the tank every year.

EDIT: BTW, leaf cuttings of most Mex Pings root readily in either form
(hint ;))

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I bet rock wool would work well also. I'm sure you could make an artificial rock planter for it, and cycle the tank every year.

EDIT: BTW, leaf cuttings of most Mex Pings root readily in either form
(hint ;))
Rock wool for the container? How do you form it into one? Would that be harmful to frogs?

Yes, I've read that they are very easy from leaf cuttings, a nice thing to know.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts