Dendroboard banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if there was a way to cut the top off a Pineapple to make a fake Brom? We get them(Pineapples) at "Sam's Club" a lot cheaper and throw the tops away all the time. Could I be missing an opportunity to recycle? I know this is probably the stupidist crap you have ever read, but as I have said before, I am a victim of curiousity!

Thanks!

JBear

Reactions: frogface

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I think I heard that you can cut off the top, plant it in the soil, and it'll re-grow into a new plant. And Pineapples are a bromeliad by the way.

When I was in Costa Rica I visited a local farm in Saripiqui and the guy had pineapples growing in his garden which bordered the forest, and there were pumilio living amongst them. Also it was THE BEST pineapple you will ever eat... makes the pineapple up here taste like cardboard.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
yeah my father has one growing for a few years years. it is HUGE now. We broght a top back from hawaii and it has been growing since....I'll see if i can snag a photo....

Edit: Photo is attached. Photo was taken about 6 months ago, still huge and growing !

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are the tops like regular broms in that they should not be planted deep to start? How would I go about doing this? Again, all my thanks!

JBear

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Yeah i have another pineapple plant growing in my house with fruit on it(the actual pineapple is only a few inches tall), but dont have a photo right now of it....

All you need to do is twist off the top and place it in a glass of water(just the bottom part a inch to two inches) and change the water every few days. In a few weeks, it will produce roots. Then after that, you can plant it.

·
Banned
915 Posts
thanks for the great idea nad crazy question. I'm a chef and toss about 8-12 pineapple tops a week now i can use them to brom out the rest of my tanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
This thread is awesome, thanks for the crazy question!

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
pineapple IS a bromilead. ananas comosus. there are a number of cultivars as well as ornamental varieties. and they take an amazing 20-30 months to bear a fully sized edible fruit.

they get big though. not really viv sized, even the small ornamental ones are pretty decetly sized. i definitely wouldnt use them as "fake" broms.

james

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
thanks for the great idea nad crazy question. I'm a chef and toss about 8-12 pineapple tops a week now i can use them to brom out the rest of my tanks
I wouldn't do that. They will rot. These are terrestrial but don't like to be soaked or stagnant. They also get huge.

You might look into Acanthostachys strobilacea. It's a MUCH smaller cousin of Ananas. They might be able to be acclimated to terrarium life if kept a bit like a Tillandsia.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
yeah would not put one in a viv. My fathers plant is HUGE ! Yeah it would be cool, but not practical. Mine is smaller, but still the same. I have mine on one of my racks under some lights.

·
Banned
915 Posts
ok thanks, for the info

I wouldn't do that. They will rot. These are terrestrial but don't like to be soaked or stagnant. They also get huge.

You might look into Acanthostachys strobilacea. It's a MUCH smaller cousin of Ananas. They might be able to be acclimated to terrarium life if kept a bit like a Tillandsia.

·
Registered
454 Posts
actually it is not stupid at all.

Pineapples are part of the bromeliad family.

however, I certainly wouldn't just put a top in my viv, it would rot as others have said....but if you propogate/grow one correctly i'm sure you could. it would be way too big for most vivs tho

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Aside from it being too big, I would be worried about the pesticides, herbicides, and fertilizers used in large scale commercial farming.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Aside from it being too big, I would be worried about the pesticides, herbicides, and fertilizers used in large scale commercial farming.
I think, by what people have said, that this specific plant clipping, whether a Brom species or not, is not suited for a viv for a number of reasons.

1. Unsuitable for the constant humidity/conditions of a dart frog enviro.
2. Grow far too large to really be applicable.
3. (Most importantly) Risk of pesticide/etc. contamination.

If I am wrong, please correct me!

Thanks for all the feedback, and I am happy a lot of people enjoyed the idea!

JBear

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.