Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anybody have any pics of how to use toothpicks to mount broms? ive heard ppl talk about it, but i can't really figure out how you'd do it

·
Registered
73 Posts
What are you mounting it into? If its foam I like to get wire, cut it into 3' or 4' inch strips, wrap it around the bottom of the brome and poke it into the Styrofoam.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Depending on the cork (I use both real bark and veneered tile) I usually first drill a hole, a bit larger than the base of the brom, and then wrap a small amount of sphagnum around the base of the brom and set it in the hole. Sometimes I'll glue them in. Some bark will even have a perfect crevasse to stick the base into without drilling.

I will then either drill a couple holes, slightly smaller in diameter than the toothpicks, or, if I can, just push in the toothpicks in on each side of the brom at an angle so that, once inserted, they form an upright 'X', angled away from the bark on the top, and partway up from the inserted base. The plant is supported in the upper crotch of the 'X'.

I may add a solo toothpick higher up, stuck into the bark at a severe angle, pinning a leaf or upper stem as well, to minimize movement while the plant roots. Sometimes I'll pin it right through the leaf.

I always take the points off the exposed end of the picks before inserting.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
586 Posts
I use the toothpick method but I snap my toothpicks in half and just stab them into whatever I want to mount it too, gs or cork.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts