Dendroboard banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone has some pictures of the natural habitat of Dendrobates auratus. I'm wanting to create a habitat as close to the real thing as possible for my lone El Cope auratus.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Thanks for that link! That was very helpful, I believe I'm going to try to imitate this look:
Sorry it's already booked, i selected it for my next build... :rolleyes: :D :D

Also www.DendroBase.de have (in it's species accounts) shots with habitats.
I read it with Google Chrome - the browser translates languages automatically.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Hm... resembles a simple frog chit-chat, not for this part of forum. Let's be specific.
IMHO D. Auratus live in a habitat with a lot of roots, leaf litter, without heavy vegitation on forest floor. Due to all this pits in the ground i see a lot of mossy stones. The ground is not flat but have pits etc.
Need to keep in mind they are spread and habitats may vary greatly.

Seen any more pics? Do not hesitate to post!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I definitely feel that stones and roots are a must for a truly natural looking tank for this species. I'll probably add some more plants than what would be found proportionally in the wild, but I think the frogs will feel more comfortable that way.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
asking for a picture of auratus habitat is a little silly since they are likely the most widespread sp. ranging from nicaragua to colombia. thats like saying "send me a picture of any area between new york and florida."

now you did say el cope. which is a panamanian type so that narrows it down.

heres a few pics from the el cope area:

james

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
James, I had thought of that when writing the original post, but I figured any up close habitat pictures would be better than none. Thanks for your pictures! Do you have any others from Panamanian auratus habitats?

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
those were gotten using google maps with "photos" turned on. it has images tagged in certain areas.

heres a pic, for instance, of the northern part of isla bastimentos:

james

·
Registered
969 Posts
Hi Ryan,
I'm sure you could find a similar looking root at El Cope, but overall the habitat is much wetter than the picture you chose to recreate. There are a lot of epiphytes as well as terrestrially growing plants. As it is at the top of a mountain, the habitat that the auratus are in is a big slope with a few tiny little streams. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Thanks for sharing - always great to see in situ habitat. It's such a help with balance of leaf litter, rock, plants etc when planing out new viv builds to have 'visuals' of actual habitats.

Regards
Marcus

1 - 16 of 16 Posts