Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, let's start with a pic of the box. Notice the tear in the right corner. All the boxes that I've seen at Petco have been beat to crap. The cage was undamaged, though. It comes packaged fully assembled in this box with styrofoam protecting the four corners.

Here are the details of the writing on the box in English:

Here's a front view of the cage, with one door open and one closed. Note how the hinges are placed, somewhat up the side, so the outside of the door swings into the viv space when opened. Also note the button on the black part that's askew. That's the swinging latch that controls the cage door lock. In the up position a piece of plastic slides into a notch in the two doors, preventing them from swinging open.

Here's a side view. Notice how thick the background is.

Here's a view of the back with the background in. Notice the bottom edges have a wide notch where hoses and cords can go through. The notches join a channel that's about 1/2" deep that runs up the back. We'll get to where they lead in a second.

Here's a pic of the screen top. Pieces of glass can be cut to fit over where the screen is located. I picked up two pieces cut to fit at the glass store yesterday for $4.30

This is a detail of the sliders on the back of the top. Left one is closed, right one is open.

Here's a detail of the holes in the back of the trim at the top of the cage. Cords run through the bottom of the background, up the channels, and fit through these holes.

Here is a detail of the sliders. One closed:

And one open. Sorry about the image quality on this one:

Here's a closeup of the background. I had to use a flash on this one, so the color is not accurate. Look at the top few pics to get an accurate picture of the color. It shows how obvious the styrofoam balls are.

I tried to get some pics of the vents in the front, but they all came out blurry. I'll try again later.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Very interesting. Thank you for posting. I've been debating whether to wait for these to come our way or whether to give the FCA cube a try.

Anyone have thoughts about pluses/minuses of FCA versus Exo Terra?

Bill

·
Registered
533 Posts
They are apples and oranges. The jury is still out on whether or not the exo-terra tanks will keep FFs from escaping, but you can be sure there won't be any warping.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd say that the mesh on top is definitely too small for melanogaster to squeeze through, though they might get through the holes in the trim if the sliders are left open. Even though there's light showing through the closed slider, I don't think it's a wide enough gap for them to get through either. The front vents I'm not sure about, though. But you can always close them with a bead of silicone.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I was talking about the gaps in the front door, both on the sides and center. I didn't even think about the slider or the vent. Good point.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I think that melanogaster will be able to squeeze through that top screen with regularity. I have watched many, many melanogaster squeeze through fiberglass screen. However, it will definitely keep the hydei in.

Yuri will be setting up his tank soon and will report back.

·
Registered
976 Posts
when i went to my local petco i looked at the box and it did look like they droped it a few times. i liked the way the front doors where. could really look at it too good because it was on the top shelf. i'm sure you could improvise on some on the "problems" the tank had. one would be feed crickets and not flys.:)
walt

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dmartin72 said:
I think that melanogaster will be able to squeeze through that top screen with regularity. I have watched many, many melanogaster squeeze through fiberglass screen. However, it will definitely keep the hydei in.

Yuri will be setting up his tank soon and will report back.
It's not fiberglass screen, it's aluminum. Notice the 'Full metal screen' part on the box writing detail.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Yuri brought one over to the Mid-Atlantic Dendro Club meeting and I inspected it pretty closely. The aluminum screen that comes with the unit has similar size diameter mesh holes as the fiberglass screen that I am talking about. I used some bridal veil that had smaller diameter holes and Natalia watched the melanogasters wiggle their way through.

Anyway, set yours up already and report back. :p I'm interested to see how these things hold up long term.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
With the doors closed and the top off, run a bead of silicone down the corners between the doors and sides. When it dries, carefully separate the silicone from the sides, leaving it on the door. Now when the door closes, there will be a perfect seal.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
How big of a gap? Between which surfaces?
I haven't seen one yet :x , but I'm guessing you're talking about the sides with the hinges, and maybee the middle seam?
How about using silicone or epoxy to attatch a piece of rubber tubing over the gap?
It would help if we knew exactly what you're talking about.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Dancing frogs said:
How big of a gap? Between which surfaces?
I haven't seen one yet :x , but I'm guessing you're talking about the sides with the hinges, and maybee the middle seam?
How about using silicone or epoxy to attatch a piece of rubber tubing over the gap?
Just to clarify what I meant, I meant to say to glue the tubing to one surface, and not the other, making sort of like a weather-strip.

So how far are they from keeping an imitator in?

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
You can do the same by using silicone.

I haven't set ours up yet, but I would not put a thumbnail frog into the tank before I addressed the gap issue on the sides.

Dancing frogs said:
[quote="Dancing frogs":1awkm40e]How big of a gap? Between which surfaces?
Just to clarify what I meant, I meant to say to glue the tubing to one surface, and not the other, making sort of like a weather-strip.

So how far are they from keeping an imitator in?[/quote:1awkm40e]

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
That is a great idea!

Arklier said:
With the doors closed and the top off, run a bead of silicone down the corners between the doors and sides. When it dries, carefully separate the silicone from the sides, leaving it on the door. Now when the door closes, there will be a perfect seal.

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
18 cube

If you decide to close up the area on the sides, attach some saran wrap to the side of the glass you don't want the silicone to stick to. Then apply the silicone into the corner, when it has cured, open the door and remove the saran wrap.

This is a lot easier than having to cut it with a knife, etc.

Melis

·
Registered
533 Posts
David,
I went with the size Yuri showed us, 12x12x18. I wanted it for my Phelsuma l. laticauda.

Here are a couple pics of the viv. Not too bad for 15 mins of set up, eh? :lol:

Finally, a shot of the gap in the doors.

I haven't come to any conclusions. It looks very well constructed. I don't believe it is anywhere close to FF proof. I hope everyones mods go well.

Richard

1 - 20 of 53 Posts