Dendroboard banner

21 - 40 of 588 Posts

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Excellent job on the background and great Idea with the ropes. I think I've seen the bent pipe method before but you did it well and the robes really add to the finished effect. I think this is one of if not the most truly natural backgrounds I've seen. I mean thats is really what you would see, an eroded out bank with tree roots next to a stream...Probably a good place for finding frogs too ;)

My only suggestion would be that it might be interesting and add to the effect if you could slightly alter the color of the coating on the ropes...either do the pipes in grey and ropes brown or vise versa...or just 2 shades of brown even.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I covered the pipes and rope twice with the compaktuna-peat mixture (mix compaktuna with water and peat). afterwards I covered the uncovered parts with sealant and sprinkle with peat.

Dimensions are 185cm (72")L x 50cm (19,7")D x 100cm (40")H
Pardon me, but Im a little slow. When you say you "covered" them, exactly how? Did you hand apply the mixture? It looks so evenly applied? It almost seems just by looking that you would have to somehow spray it on to cover all the spaces?

Exactly what type os sealant are you referencing?

Thank you. And AGAIN.....OUTSTANDING!!!!!

·
Registered
776 Posts
I think DAP has a similar product but I heard its not the best. Also you can use Quikcrete as well. Nice viv. How long did it take for all of it to dry?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
That looks amazingly real! Great job!! I bet that root system took forever to finish!!! Thank you for taking pictures and sharing!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Thx for the great comments!
I hope this will inspire people. I got my inspiration from HX on this forum.
Dry time: a couple of weeks.

Pardon me, but Im a little slow. When you say you "covered" them, exactly how? Did you hand apply the mixture? It looks so evenly applied? It almost seems just by looking that you would have to somehow spray it on to cover all the spaces?
I use a paintbrush for the mixture. The sealant (soudal - Fix All) is applied by hand and afterwards put peat on top of it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Thx for the great comments!
I hope this will inspire people. I got my inspiration from HX on this forum.
Dry time: a couple of weeks.

I use a paintbrush for the mixture. The sealant (soudal - Fix All) is applied by hand and afterwards put peat on top of it.
I found the sealant. Im assuming your pretty sure its viv safe?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Pardon my ignorance, but is the "soudal" sealant that you used similar to silicone sealant?
It is in the same sort of tube but it is not really a silicone. It is a polymer.

The sealant is viv safe. It is often used in Belgium (or the Netherlands).

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
The viv has a rainsystem (5 nozzles) and a fogger (Lucky Reptile super fog).
I also have eveninglightning (4 bars of LED light):

and night light (lucky Reptile Night Sky 6x LED lights):

Especially the evening lightning is good for the frogs so they don't suddenly end up in darkness in the evening.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Damn that is definitely sweet. After I get a few more builds under my belt I'm going to plan for a BIG display tank and this lighting scheme is going to be part of the plan.

·
Registered
797 Posts
ur tank is insane man... def subscribed to this one lol. I really like the led lighting.....i like the whole thing actually lol.... wish i had something similar.... someday when i have more money to spend i might try haha..:D

21 - 40 of 588 Posts