Dendroboard banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help sexing these guys. Started with 4, now have 3 (not sure what happened to the 4th).

They've been calling for 3+ months, but no tads yet. They call pretty much constantly throughout the day. I have only ever seen one of them call.

Here is a video showing them calling:

And here's a couple pics: https://imgur.com/a/tQWMnXl

I suspect I have 3 males. If I purchase more in the hopes of getting a female, is it OK to put a few juvies in with the adults, or will they get harassed?

·
Super Moderator
2,677 Posts
I have a guess as to what happened to an imi in a viv full of males, and it isn't a good thing.

Imis do well in pairs, much less so in groups.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To be clear, I haven't gotten any juvies yet. I got the original 4 at the same time.

If I wanted to get more, I should set up a new viv for them, raise them, separate them once they start calling, and pair up a non-calling one with one of the calling ones?

·
Super Moderator
2,677 Posts
If I wanted to get more, I should set up a new viv for them, raise them, separate them once they start calling, and pair up a non-calling one with one of the calling ones?
I personally would grow them out separately (no aggression; I can see without any confusion who is calling, who is eating), but this plan in the quote is a decent second option.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I'm still kind of hoping I have a female here, but if they don't breed in another month or two I'll start up a new viv.

·
Super Moderator
2,677 Posts
The 'disappearing imitator' kind of grabbed my attention; now I notice you say only one seems to call. So, are you certain there are no tads? I'm kind of oblivious, but I get more froglets than I notice tads (broms aren't always easy to see into).

My males (in adjacent vivs) call at each other pretty vigorously -- once one starts calling, the whole room gets chirpy (I have at least 8 males). I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a female or two in your group yet.

What size viv are they in?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
30" x 18" x 18", it's heavily planted enough that I wouldn't rule out the possibility of #4 still being alive and hiding somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
2,677 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't necessarily rule it out either.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Should probably post an update here. About a month after posting this thread, they started laying eggs. I definitely have a 2.1group. For the first while none of the eggs hatched, but after about 2-3 weeks of laying they got it right and I started getting tons of tads. For a long time they were laying eggs on the glass where I could collect them, and I have around 20 tads/froglets from this time. Now they are back to laying eggs hidden in broms so it's harder for me to find them. I cannot believe how prolific they are, the female seems to lay and egg or two twice a week at least.

I believe the pair killed off the other male as I have only seen the pair in the last couple months. I wish I had raised them separately, or separated them once the males started to call. There are at least a couple froglets in with the pair though, I can't catch them without taking the whole viv apart so I'll just let nature run its course.

·
Super Moderator
2,677 Posts
I believe the pair killed off the other male as I have only seen the pair in the last couple months. I wish I had raised them separately, or separated them once the males started to call.
Quoting this because more people need to see it. Keeping territorial animals in groups -- even in a really nice sized viv such as yours -- is being done more often than it should be, which is never. There are more examples of this happening, but unfortunately people latch on to situations where a group seems to work (sometimes because the keeper doesn't report, or doesn't notice, losses).

I am sorry that your frog has been lost -- hopefully that experience will prove valuable to you. It should be easy to figure out who is Dad, only a bit harder to pull the other male before he is killed too. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, it's a bit frustrating because hobbyists never seem to report their failures, only their successes. Josh's Frogs also lists these guys as "Great in Pairs or Groups" which doesn't help noobs like me. Ah well, I am setting up a new rack of 10s for froglet growout so I should have more space to keep them separate.

I have to say that watching the parental care these guys have has been amazing, one of the best hobby experiences I've had. It's like watching cichlids holding fry or seeing an acropora encrust and color up.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Usually the frogs will let you know what they are.

Once a male starts calling, you’ll see the suspected female following them. Even if they’re not mature yet.

Unfortunately, once the male starts calling, it’s usually the end for any other non calling (or calling) male in the tank.

They usually know what they are before we do.

Atleast that’s been my experience working with imitators.

Nick Gamble
Gamphibian House

Reactions: thepotoo
1 - 12 of 12 Posts