Dendroboard banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

This is my first post to dendroboard and I am quite excited to begin this project as I have been wanting to for several years! I have always been in awe of the beauty of dart frogs, and have always wanted to create a beautiful habitat mimicking nature as closely as possible so I can get some frogs and make them happy. My goal is to create a habitat that I would want to live in as a frog: just like nature, but without the predators!

So I have been doing a bit of research on tanks.. What I would have wanted optimally was a 18x18x24 exo-terra tank or something similar. I'm sure you all know how pricey these are, and frankly, I didnt want to spend $120 on a tank. I went to petco, and they had a zoo-med but it was only 12x12x18 and I wanted to start with something bigger. They recommended I try a saltwater fish store down the street. I went down there and at first the guy kind of chuckled at me, informing me that he didnt carry anything for frogs. I told him all I needed was a tank and then he kind of relaxed. He told me he may have something that would work, and took me to the back of the store. He showed me a beautiful 30 gal. cube tank with stand, made by Oceanic. It wasn't front-opening which was a bummer, but I thought maybe I could make it work, since front-opening tanks are a pretty new thing anyway. The walls are 1/2" thick, the tank and stand are in great, albeit used, condition. Realizing this was a $200+ aquarium tank, I asked him how much it would be. "$40" he said. "Sold", I said.

So now I have a beautiful tank, not perfect, but bigger than what I thought I could afford, and for $40, a SUPER good deal.

My quest begins!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hello everyone!

This is my first post to dendroboard and I am quite excited to begin this project as I have been wanting to for several years! I have always been in awe of the beauty of dart frogs, and have always wanted to create a beautiful habitat mimicking nature as closely as possible so I can get some frogs and make them happy. My goal is to create a habitat that I would want to live in as a frog: just like nature, but without the predators!

So I have been doing a bit of research on tanks.. What I would have wanted optimally was a 18x18x24 exo-terra tank or something similar. I'm sure you all know how pricey these are, and frankly, I didnt want to spend $120 on a tank. I went to petco, and they had a zoo-med but it was only 12x12x18 and I wanted to start with something bigger. They recommended I try a saltwater fish store down the street. I went down there and at first the guy kind of chuckled at me, informing me that he didnt carry anything for frogs. I told him all I needed was a tank and then he kind of relaxed. He told me he may have something that would work, and took me to the back of the store. He showed me a beautiful 30 gal. cube tank with stand, made by Oceanic. It wasn't front-opening which was a bummer, but I thought maybe I could make it work, since front-opening tanks are a pretty new thing anyway. The walls are 1/2" thick, the tank and stand are in great, albeit used, condition. Realizing this was a $200+ aquarium tank, I asked him how much it would be. "$40" he said. "Sold", I said.

So now I have a beautiful tank, not perfect, but bigger than what I thought I could afford, and for $40, a SUPER good deal.

My quest begins!
Haha that's a sweet story...gonna be the first of many ;) Good luck on your "quest!" Best of luck

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the kind words fellas!

I ordered a dual 18" 18w t5ho aquarium light off ebay. Also have my mom shipping 2 huge bags of magnolia leaves from California to use as litter. I called the only local reptile shop and the manager apparently breeds darts, though he seemed like he wanted to get off the phone very quickly.. He told me he will have some sexed cobalt tincs coming in in a few weeks and those are the guys I would like to start with so I'll check them out, upload some pics for feedback and get a quote. Anyone have any experience with "Scales & Tails" in Colorado Springs, CO?

Here's a general outline for my tank:

eggcrate box false bottom, great stuff/silicon/peat/driftwood background with water feature, 4 or 6" PVC in corner to provide access to pump for water feature which will be covered and turned into the feature, likely ABG substrate with magnolia leaf litter, various broms, ferns, moss, vines etc. and finally a pair of D. Tinc Cobalt froggies!

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? I know it's hard to find something to critique right now since I havent begun the physical part of the project, but planning beforehand is a hell of a lot of fun and I'm learning a LOT. I'm planning on doing a photographic log of my build and posting it here.

Thanks!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks for the kind words fellas!

I ordered a dual 18" 18w t5ho aquarium light off ebay. Also have my mom shipping 2 huge bags of magnolia leaves from California to use as litter. I called the only local reptile shop and the manager apparently breeds darts, though he seemed like he wanted to get off the phone very quickly.. He told me he will have some sexed cobalt tincs coming in in a few weeks and those are the guys I would like to start with so I'll check them out, upload some pics for feedback and get a quote. Anyone have any experience with "Scales & Tails" in Colorado Springs, CO?

Here's a general outline for my tank:

eggcrate box false bottom, great stuff/silicon/peat/driftwood background with water feature, 4 or 6" PVC in corner to provide access to pump for water feature which will be covered and turned into the feature, likely ABG substrate with magnolia leaf litter, various broms, ferns, moss, vines etc. and finally a pair of D. Tinc Cobalt froggies!

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? I know it's hard to find something to critique right now since I havent begun the physical part of the project, but planning beforehand is a hell of a lot of fun and I'm learning a LOT. I'm planning on doing a photographic log of my build and posting it here.

Thanks!
Pics? Sounds good, do you have your FF cultures going? Springtails? Do you have vitamin and calcium supplements ready? I know this is just about your viv, just seeing if you're ready for frogs.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Hey Mike,
What a coincidence my name is mike and I too am from earth. Small world huh. Looks like off your off to a good start. A little friendly advice, one thing I learned from my first two builds: water features are a waste of time, money and effort. It seems like everyones first tank has a water feature but after some experience... no more water feature, but its all good and I completely understand the desire to have the water feature.

Sounds like your off too a strong start. Keep us posted and pictures are always nice. Oh yea thats a perfect sized tank, nice find.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pics? Sounds good, do you have your FF cultures going? Springtails? Do you have vitamin and calcium supplements ready? I know this is just about your viv, just seeing if you're ready for frogs.
Nope I have absolutely no frog supplies! I am aware of the requirements and suggestions about getting FF cultures going and have done research on how to do so, but I havent placed an order yet. I would prefer to support a local business which is why I mentioned scales & tails, but if they dont impress me I will just order from joshsfrogs. Only problem is I dont have a car and the shop is 8 miles away from me so I have to figure out a way to get up there! In any case after I plant my tank I will wait a couple weeks for plants to settle in before I get frogs. I want to do this right!

Pic of my new terrarium:

photo (6) by mikephantasmic, on Flickr

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hey Mike,
What a coincidence my name is mike and I too am from earth. Small world huh. Looks like off your off to a good start. A little friendly advice, one thing I learned from my first two builds: water features are a waste of time, money and effort. It seems like everyones first tank has a water feature but after some experience... no more water feature, but its all good and I completely understand the desire to have the water feature.

Sounds like your off too a strong start. Keep us posted and pictures are always nice. Oh yea thats a perfect sized tank, nice find.
Damn.. That is a coincidence! I suppose leaving out a water feature would save me time, money and possible stress, but at the same time I want this tank to be how I envisioned it and I want it to be bitchin'. I guess I'll just have to see where it goes!

Oh, and another thing.. The stand came with a smoked glass door, but since the tank used to house saltwater fishies, the metal hardware is a bit rusted and missing the hinge pins. Anyone know what these hinges are called and/or where I can get replacements?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Nope I have absolutely no frog supplies! I am aware of the requirements and suggestions about getting FF cultures going and have done research on how to do so, but I havent placed an order yet. I would prefer to support a local business which is why I mentioned scales & tails, but if they dont impress me I will just order from joshsfrogs. Only problem is I dont have a car and the shop is 8 miles away from me so I have to figure out a way to get up there! In any case after I plant my tank I will wait a couple weeks for plants to settle in before I get frogs. I want to do this right!
My bad, I thought you meant you had the tank set up already. It looks good empty, though :D

As for the parts for the stand, is the stand also Oceanic (I think that's the brand name, though I'm not positive because the name is small in the pic)? If it is, you could check their website, or take the old parts to a hardware shop and ask them if they have anything that would work.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm very stoked about the cube myself! Seems pretty perfect for my first viv. I just contacted thedriftwoodstore.com about a beautiful piece I would love to aquire. I hope I can afford it :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts