Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is a pic of the first froglet from my breeding group of R. imitator 'varadero'.

This is the first of 11 tads I have.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Congrats! Is that your very first froglet? Or just your first Varadero? Exciting!

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is my first home bred varadero froglet....I have a 1.2 group that in the last 2 months dropped 12 tads(including this froglet) and one in viv. The is the very first tad they dropped off in a film canister. I have 3 more about a week away from pushing front legs and 7 more in various ages of development.

These are the only frogs I have breeding at this time.....But as you know it's an addiction and there are more frogs I am waiting on to get old enough for shipping.....

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Now the tough question. Are you going to trade him towards another group you've been considering? Or do you just HAVE to keep your first baby?:confused: Frogboy and I struggle over that one!

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Now the tough question. Are you going to trade him towards another group you've been considering? Or do you just HAVE to keep your first baby?:confused: Frogboy and I struggle over that one!
That is a good question when I got into the hobby I didn't really intend to get into breeding but it is quite enjoyable to watch them do their thing and see the outcome. Which in reefing I did the samething but it was a lot more work to bred reef fish and much less enjoyable.....I will probably not keep him and sell or trade him in a couple months along with the rest. Would rather have someone else enjoy them and me enjoy a differant frog to my collection...Since I have a 1.2 and a 1.1 of varadero I don't really "need" more of them but I can enjoy growing him up till he is bigger and stronger.

But he is dang cute........

Quite glad to see that he morphed healthy with the tank the size that my trio is in I wasn't sure if the parents were getting enough suppliments to have tads morph out healthy. But from the looks of things they are....Was kinda nervious to see if the tads were going to have SLS or something....But so far they all look good.

Thanks for the congrats everyone.....

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is some updated pics....I moved him to a sterilite container for now with sphagnum and live oak, sea grape leaf litter. I also seeded it with springs.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had quite a bit of time last night to think about this question at work.....I think I might have changed my mind. I will probably keep him and once he gets big find him a female.

James

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I had quite a bit of time last night to think about this question at work.....I think I might have changed my mind. I will probably keep him and once he gets big find him a female.

James
Yeah, we go back and forth on that too.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Congrats he is so sweet! I just have a question or two and from the looks of it you got it down hehe. I just picked up my first Varadero's and my pair laid their first clutch of 2 eggs today on a leaf pretty far back in the tank. Do you wait for the parents to transport the tads, then pull them? Or do you remove the eggs as they develope? Or just let the parents take care of it? These are my first thumbs and I'm surprised to have eggs already. I'm just looking for some advice, not looking to hijack.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Congrats he is so sweet! I just have a question or two and from the looks of it you got it down hehe. I just picked up my first Varadero's and my pair laid their first clutch of 2 eggs today on a leaf pretty far back in the tank. Do you wait for the parents to transport the tads, then pull them? Or do you remove the eggs as they develop? Or just let the parents take care of it? These are my first thumbs and I'm surprised to have eggs already. I'm just looking for some advice, not looking to hijack.

Thanks,
Chris
No worries Chris about hijacking......

As far as tads, eggs and transport go I have done it both ways. Here is my initial findings and experience.

Initially I was pulling all the tads that they dropped off. Which seemed to make them want to lay more egg clutches. At one point I had 5 clutches developing. So if it was on a brom axle that could be trimmed off without hurting or mangling the brom I cut them off and trimmed it up and put the eggs attached to the axle clipping in a cup with just enough water to touch the edge of the egg mass. It has gotten to the point that I ran out of room for tad cups in the front room so I finally let them keep a tad. Since then they have quit laying egg clutches and only taking care of the tadpole in a brom.....You can do it either way and as long as you keep pulling the egg clutches or tads they will continue to lay and drop.

I am sure Doug can add to it since he has been at it far longer then me.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
You summed that up pretty nicely. Pull em or leave em, it's up to you. You will produce more by pulling, but it's more labor for you and you miss out on watching the parents care for junior. I pull eggs if I see them. I don't tear my viv apart looking though. I don't use broms. If the parents have a tad to transport, they put him in a film canister and I can remove him quite easily.

·
Registered
510 Posts
wow nice froglet photos, I also have my first froglet and not sure I could part with it (glad I'm not alone in having emotional attachments to first born frogs:eek:)

·
Registered
379 Posts
No worries Chris about hijacking......

As far as tads, eggs and transport go I have done it both ways. Here is my initial findings and experience.

Initially I was pulling all the tads that they dropped off. Which seemed to make them want to lay more egg clutches. At one point I had 5 clutches developing. So if it was on a brom axle that could be trimmed off without hurting or mangling the brom I cut them off and trimmed it up and put the eggs attached to the axle clipping in a cup with just enough water to touch the edge of the egg mass. It has gotten to the point that I ran out of room for tad cups in the front room so I finally let them keep a tad. Since then they have quit laying egg clutches and only taking care of the tadpole in a brom.....You can do it either way and as long as you keep pulling the egg clutches or tads they will continue to lay and drop.

I am sure Doug can add to it since he has been at it far longer then me.
Cool thanks a lot. That is very helpful. I may remove the eggs if I can see them developing. I'm very excited to work with these tads hopefully!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Do you keep your tads in distilled/RO water, or spring water? I use tad tea with my tincs, but my research tells me that thumbs don't need the tannins because they are normally deposited high up into brom axils where there water is refreshed with new rain water regularly. Just wondering what you use.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do you keep your tads in distilled/RO water, or spring water? I use tad tea with my tincs, but my research tells me that thumbs don't need the tannins because they are normally deposited high up into brom axles where there water is refreshed with new rain water regularly. Just wondering what you use.

Thanks,
Chris
I due use tadpole tea with these tadpoles, I have read that you don't need to use tea as well and just straight spring water can be used. I have not noticed any adverse effects from using it though.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Cool thanks a lot!

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Congrats on getting your first Varadero froglet. I don't keep a lot of the "wee" frogs (as I don't like frogs that hide-out all the time), but the Varaderos are so bold and their color so bright that they are a favorite in the frog room. They also seem to be very hardy, so are good for folks that are just starting out.

The thing I prefer to do with the froglets is to grow them up until I can put sexed pairs together and offer them to other froggers that way. This way, I can spend a lot of time with them and give them the best start in the world that I can.

Good luck for many more, Richard.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts