Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone keep Phyromantis bifasciatus? They are so similar to darts (size, coloration, etc) that I thought I would hear more about them on db. I had a group of 10 a couple of years back and I thought they were great. Anyone ever heard of someone having success breeding them?
-Field

·
Registered
309 Posts
This is a frog I always wanted to work with. They have such an unusual appearance. Hopefully someone works with them they might be a fun project. Im sure breeding wouldn't be that hard if you simply put them through a dry period and then maybe a rain chamber.
Logan

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Actually their behavior and requirements are not at all similar to darts. They are a fossorial dweller that spend much of their life below ground feeding on termites. Breeding is trigered by seasonal flooding.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That was the main drawback, I barely ever saw them because they were always buried. They would always come out when I misted heavily, but for a short time only. I agree that they are different (in behavior and captive-requirements), I just thought that the size and coloration would appeal to dartkeepers. I got rid of mine because every time I changed their substrate they would blast me with their chemical defenses and that crap stinks!

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
That was the main drawback, I barely ever saw them because they were always buried. They would always come out when I misted heavily, but for a short time only. I agree that they are different (in behavior and captive-requirements), I just thought that the size and coloration would appeal to dartkeepers. I got rid of mine because every time I changed their substrate they would blast me with their chemical defenses and that crap stinks!
And this is why they don't have much of a following:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts