Dendroboard banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I would like to apologize if this question has been raised before and I am not finding it. My question is, how do I take the best pics of my vivarium and dart frogs possible? My digital is not stellar and I do not really have any editing software. I have problems with condensation and/or a filmy look to the glass.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated and have a wonderful day.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I have vivs with front opening access so that I can open the door and snap pictures of the frogs. I had a decent point and shoot digital camera, which is somewhat limiting. The hardest thing to do when taking frog pictures is to work with a moving and hiding subject. You really have to be prepared to sit there for a good amount of time and snap lots of pictures.

I find that taking pictures of a vivarium is very difficult because of the reflection and condensation. Plus, it usually doesn't do the tank any justice. If I know I am going to shoot a tank, I will not mist it the night before or the morning of the shoot. Also, I try to circulate the air inside the viv to get the temperature on the inside close to the temperature on the outside of the tank. Finally, I clean the inside and outside of the tank with filtered water so that it doesn't leave white calcium deposits on the tank and shoot the tank at an angle.

I hope this helps!

acleverusername said:
First of all, I would like to apologize if this question has been raised before and I am not finding it. My question is, how do I take the best pics of my vivarium and dart frogs possible? My digital is not stellar and I do not really have any editing software. I have problems with condensation and/or a filmy look to the glass.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated and have a wonderful day.

G

·
Although I have never tried taking pics of viv I have with aquariums. The best method I have found is to wait til night time. Turn off all other lights, including TVs monitors etc in the room with only the vivarium light on. Turn off the flash on your cameria. This will eliminate the flash reflection in the glass.

Also, if you can open the door the best way to shoot is "center weight metering" and aim so the frog or subject is in the middle of the shot. Sometimes for closeup shots its a good idea to turn the macro mode on. You can play around with exposure settings if the light it too brigh or dark.

For my planted aquarium and canon S400 I use the following settings
Center weight metering
Macro mode
-1 to -2/3 exposure I have 2x65 CF so its pretty bright
ISO: 100
Tripod

1 - 3 of 3 Posts