Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard good things about the feeding response toward this feeder. What sizes should I offer for my young Phyllobates, and the R. sirensis? I was thinking the absolute smallest size, but will this be appropriate for the larger, more vigorous Phyllobates? I would love to hear other's experiences using this feeder! All my thanks!

JBear

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have leucs, azureus and p. vittatus. None of my animals would touch them. Hopefully I am just the exception because phoenix worms are great nutritionally

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have leucs, azureus and p. vittatus. None of my animals would touch them. Hopefully I am just the exception because phoenix worms are great nutritionally
What size did you offer? Supplier?

All my thanks!

JBear

·
Registered
933 Posts
I have fed them to my tincs and terribs. They were about the size of a grain of rice. Many of them passed through the frogs whole. There is some debate as to how much chitin (contained in the cuticle) can be digested by PDFs. Probably the youngest instars would be best.

·
Administrator
8,720 Posts
Avoid them.

There is a picture somewhere of one popping out of a frogs stomach - burrowed it's way out.

The ones that do not get eaten turn in to nasty ass bugs also.

Not worth the trouble.

s

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Avoid them.

There is a picture somewhere of one popping out of a frogs stomach - burrowed it's way out.

The ones that do not get eaten turn in to nasty ass bugs also.

Not worth the trouble.

s
Is it possible the frog you mentioned was of ill health? Maybe the pupae(pheonix worm) was simply not digested and the frog died with the worm inside, undigested? The reason I say, is many times I have seen my mom offer these, and never did they burrow thier way out. The species that were fed these were D. tinctorius, D. leucomelas, and D. auratus. She offered the smallest available size to all.

Thanks for the warning!

JBear

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
go to google scholar and put the following search phrase into the engine
Hermetia illucens myiasis
and review the abstracts.

Ed

·
Registered
302 Posts
I fed these about a month ago and some escaped into the substrate. Today I found a few of what I hope and assume are them on a peice of banana. Makes me regret having used them, going to put several more peices of banana around to try and draw them out. My pair of juvenile Leucs weren't crazy about them either and they were equivalent size to hydei maggots that they enjoy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts