Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done reading on various websites, specifically http://www.orchidlady.com.

I don't have access to any books for a while, so I would like if anybody can give me some advice.

About phaleonapsis orchids, after they are done flowering, do I cut the stalk down halfway? How do I know if its done flowering? Do these plants drop their leaves like dendrobiums? Like, when are they actively growing, so I don't assume any dying leaves aren't cultivation errors?

However, I really think I should of transplanted my orchid after blooming, but the medium it was in from the nursery was too wet, so I had to change it and put it in my dart frog tank. The plant is attached to a piece of treebark and gravel underneath.

·
Registered
370 Posts
We grow most of ours outside in a mix of large orchid bark, charcoal, and LFS. One has been in bloom since the begining on last August, one of the others would still be if I hadn't broke the inflourescens off. If you leave the spike alone it may continue to set flowers or its is very common for them to produce plantlets off of it. I rarely see plants with more then 5 or 6 leaves at a time, even in very old individuals. Did that cover most of your questions?

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LFS?

Uh, Jason, what does LFS stand for? Some of my leaves look like they have split down the middle a little. Is that bad? Yes, I have heard of phaleonapsis producing khakis if I leave it alone long enough. Didn't know they would flower that long repeatedly. Mine's a hybrid, I don't know the cultivar name off the bat. I sure wish I was orchid smart like I was CP smart :oops:

I do have a Utricularia praelonga that was supposedly a U. reniformis. I'm not sure if I want it. It produces tall, grassy leaves. I don't have time to make trades at the moment, but maybe for a M. tenufolia. By the way, did you check your PM? I sent you a message concerning trades for Nepenthes. It hasn't been registering new incoming messages, I don't know if anybody has reported it yet to feedback. It may be just my computer?

G

·
Hi,
I have a phal that was done blooming and called oak hill gardens and they told me to cut the stem back down to the next bud. I did that back in January and now it has bloomed again. It has been in bloom about 1.5 months.Hope this helps.
Mark W.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I got the PM and hadn't replied yet. I was waiting to see if I could come up with another blooming size division of it for you. Chances are slim though. I can pull a small division off the one I have, but it will probably be 2 or 3 years till it flowers. But a fair trade for a Utricularia. :D Can't do the Nep. it would not like it here. How about this though? A small division of my Max (3 old, 1 new pseudobulbs) for a plug of your Utric, and if I can get another blooming size plant I'll send it to you in addition (but I wouldn't hold my breath). Don't want to part with the whole plant though.

Anyway back to the topic. LFS is long fiber sphagnum moss. And the ones that I have that have been blooming like that are both hybrids. We bought them together in one pot from a grower dirt cheap because they had tiny shriveled green flowres (which I thought were cool). We took them home potted them up seperately and fertilized them. Every flower from that point was big and beutiful, just like a Phal. should be. Hope it helped.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts