Dendroboard banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've seen general guidance, but no solid numbers, about pH especially having to do with the water areas in PDF vivaria. I use RO with a neutral pH 7.0 out of the bottle which stays mostly at pH 7.0 but occasionally creeps up to pH 7.2 in the water feature. This is all with a regular pH test kit and not a meter so my measurements are far from scientific.

What I am wondering is what is considered "normal" pH for adult frogs, froglets, tads, eggs, etc. A range would be helpful more than just one number. Also, I am curious if anybody has data on what the pH would be of jungle streams, watering holes, etc found in the frogs' natural habitat. My guess is more acidic, but I don't really know and my Googling hasn't gotten me too far yet.

Next, does anybody mess with or test the pH of their soil. If so what is there a different recommendation on what pH levels or do you adjust it for certain plants? I've seen that many moss growers recommend a slightly acidic pH.

Finally, does anybody test for other things in their water or soil?

Thank you in advance,

Marcos

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I've read that several species of frogs raise their tads and such in slightly acidic pH, 6.5-6.8. This also seems beneficial for certain mosses, and other tricky plants.

Luke

1 - 2 of 2 Posts