Dendroboard banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in need of some help and recommendations. I'm going to be expanding my frog collection, and not sure on what size tanks I should be getting. I currently have 2.1.2 leucs, 4.1.0 red eyes, and 0.0.3 azureus. I want to pick up some vents and imis, and was wondering what the best sized tanks would be? Also thinking of getting a few 40 breeders and was looking for a few recommendations on what to put in them.

I'm just trying to do my research to get the tanks in the proper sizes for the types of frogs and built to suit the individual frogs.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
a 10 vert will work, but a 15 or 20H vert (same "footprint") would be better.
you can order kit (around $25) or build your own. there is a tutorial in the caresheets section called making a vertical conversion or something like that. the same vertical front design can be used on both the 10 or the 15/20 by simply using the design and making it a little bigger.

a 40B would make a good tank for some phyllobates.

james

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was planning on the vertical conversions. I did see a lot of 10 gallons in my searching, but they just seem so small, even for thumbnails.

I also noticed that all the conversion kits have a ventilation section. Is this section really necessary for darts, or can I just use an all-glass door? The tanks will be drilled for drainage and misters.

Thanks for the quick replies!

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
some ventilation is highly recommended. although air circulation without ventilation is possible, and opening the viv will exchange enough air for the animals to survive.

they are easy to make. the instructions on that guide are a little outdated in the screen vent area. its easy to now get plastic corners for the screen frame that allow you to male your cuts at 90 rather than mitered at 45. after doing it once (with the right tools and hardware) you'll be able to make them with ease.

james

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
If a ten gallon already seems small to you, then it will look smaller and more crowded every time you look at it. A 20 to 25 Vert would be much roomier. I would love to see a rack of 40 gallon breeders set up as verts!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could someone recommend what thickness glass I should be using for the conversion of the 40B and 20H? I went to aaafrogs, but their website is down.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Could someone recommend what thickness glass I should be using for the conversion of the 40B and 20H? I went to aaafrogs, but their website is down.
We use 3/16" glass on our kits (now and in the past). If you do choose to build your own - be sure to use stainless steel hardware. ;) They aren't too hard to build - just a bit time consuming.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Bigger is allways better imo. Even twenties are to small for my liking. The thirty breeders are a great size with good dimensions but i just love those fourty breeders.

I don't build a viv without a vent at all. Easier to close them off if needed then to try and create inflow without one

·
Registered
635 Posts
You rather Do it yourself.. I find it cheaper and fun.
Heres a tutorial do a vertical conversion kit

Rapture Reptiles - Vertical Door Construction

This tutorial shows you a swinging door like what zoomed has.

If you want to do a door that folds down just like AAA frogs does then you would need a living hinge material.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the replies. I did find that link to rapture reptiles. I went to Lowes and they only had aluminum framing for the DIY vent - is this OK to use or do they make it in plastic as well? I'm still debating between sliding glass doors as I have a ton of the channel, or a fold-down door (like aaafrogs) for the 40B's. Anybody have any suggestion/insight?

·
Registered
975 Posts
the aluminum ones are what i use and i have never seen them in plastic. I gave up on the hinges as they wear out and can sag with bigger doors. Nothing but slideing doors for me me now. Also if you can center the channel right you can get your doors to fit snug inside and outside that black lip around the tank making them very ff and frog proof. you need to cut a small slice out of the ends of the channel so they fit onto the trim right. I have a picture on my photobucket account but i cant link it from my phone.
Send me a pm and i will get it to you when i get a chance

1 - 12 of 12 Posts