Dendroboard banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you saw a pet store providing darts with an inadequate tank would you say something?

My local pet store keeps getting in frogs and keeping them in awful tanks. For instance they have had a whites tree frog for almost three months in a tank with no plants and a pathetic excuse for for a brach to climb on. The poor thing hides behind that stick huddled up in the substrate.

Now they have three darts in a five gallon that can't be more than 3 months old they are so tiny. They have a "bumble bee" a "blue & yellow" dart frog (looks to me like a Surinam Cobalt Tinc) and an accurately named azureus. They have half of the top covered in saran wrap but the poor things look really dry. I don't know what they are feeding them but I never see any food in their tanks. I keep dropping hints that they need a humid enviroment but the jerks are so arrogant in there that they don't listen. They don't even know their real names!! The situation is killing me and if I had the money (70.00 a piece !!) I would rescue them- regardless of their unknown background. What would you guys do?

Eve S.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
No. Do not buy them! I know it sounds harsh, but if you buy them, all they'll do is see it as profitable and then get MORE. Stores will stop offering things if people don't buy them. Darts are incredibly expensive compared to many other frogs, so the petstore will probably get smart and not buy them anymore. The best you can do is call in a complaint or write a letter to the company about the unethical treatment.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Deep down I know you are right... but I am sure they are going to kill these frogs and that makes me really really sad...and really pissed off! :evil:
I wish there was something else people could do...

eve

G

·
0 Posts
the pet store near my house has a very similar story, the condition these darts area kept in is terrible. The poor dart stays in the premade waterfall all the time cause the reast of the vivarium looks like a desert it dry as a bone.
i've asked then nicely and not so nicely to please mist the dart but every time i go back it never changes.

It really depressing

·
Registered
191 Posts
It's interesting this topic came up because I was at my local reptile store yesterday. They have one leuc that is labeled as a bumble-bee. The aquarium is adequate, nothing spectacular. I asked them how long they had had the Leuc and they didn't know what I was talking about, so I called it a PDF and he instantly perked up. I don't think there was any harm to the Leuc, but it has been in the store now for a couple of months. What's interesting is the price is still the same $55 even though it is almost an adult now. I don't think they know what they have. Anyway, I buy through Pumilio.com.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The pet store here in East Lansing is actually where I bought my first 2 leucs. There are a couple guys in the herp room who keep PDFs, and so the variety of frogs being sold in the store are always kept very well. One thing that I am surprised at are the prices, however - $90 for a leuc, for example. Even with shipping, then, it's cheaper to buy a frog from a breeder.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Eve,
If you really wanted to do something for the frogs in question, do not buy them (like what was said) but rather ask if the manager is around. Explain your concern and explain why you know more about these frogs than anyone there. Insist on them fixing the situation, or offer to take them off their hands for their wholesale price (more likely if they've been there a while). Stick to your guns. If nothing else works let them know a complaint will be made to the Health Dept., ASPCA, etc. It's worked before, trust me. Just don't outright accuse them of something. Compliment, then criticize, then compliment again. Good luck.
Mike

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like I said... I know I shouldn't encourage them to keep purchasing these frogs. That is part of the reason that I have not bought them other than that $70 price tag the idiots are charging. It really does break my heart though and I am sure that these little guys are just a few of many currently being mistreated in pet stores. I also wonder if breeders check out the stores they sell them to. Not all store owners neglect the animals they sell but it does seem to happen more than it should. If they quit selling frogs to them it would help. I hadn't thought of the ASPCA...that's a good idea if they are uncooperative...

eve

·
Registered
561 Posts
I agree with Mike, try to talk to the manager and make recomendations on a proper setup but do not buy them for the retail price. That will give them incentive to get more. Unfortunately, as this hobby gets more and more popular, I think that we will see this more too.
Ed

·
Registered
707 Posts
Is there any extended protection for these animals since they are CITES II protected? Is that only for import or wild caught animals? Sorry for all the questions, but I am still trynig to figure it all out.

G

·
0 Posts
Unfortunately this is the way it is in ALL businesses involving animals. It is very sad.

As a reef keeper I see the same treatment to saltwater fish. There are many species that should not be collected because they rarely survive in captivity but stores buy them because customers buy them.

Puppy farms... same. :(

...and on and on.

Sorry to be a downer but as long as money can be made there will be people that expoit animals for profit.

The best we can do is to try to educate anyone interested in keeping animals (frogs in our case) so they learn and make good decisions.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You're right... there is no changing it.

A few months ago I was in Wal-mart :evil: (I try my hardest not to shop there) and I went by the fish section. There were dead fish in every tank. The worst one had over twenty dead fish and about fifteen more dying. The dead ones had been in there so long that some were almost completely decomposed.

So I went and talked to the asst. manager. Two days later I went back to check. They were still in there. So I called the Wal-mart headquarters and complained to them. The store manager than calls me and says that they will be breaking the whole fish department down because the tanks are diseased. They are to be replaced with new and improved tanks. Problem solved.

Two months later I go to the fish department and there are more dead fish that have been dead at least a few days. I don't see why a chain discount store needs to carry fish anyway. Maybe I am missing something ...

It's all marketing... they made sure that the fish are by the toy department.....

eve

1 - 13 of 13 Posts