Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to set up a vivarium for some thumbnails--either fantasticus or intermedius, and I'm wondering what plant species are usually found in their habitat. I'm most interested in knowing what species of bromeliads grow in their habitat, and what species they usually breed in. I'd also like to know what orchid species are found in their range. I'd just like to set up an "accurate" habitat for them. If anyone has any info, please share!
Thanks,
Neal

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fittonia

For foliage, I the first plant that coms to mind is fittonia. I have several varieties here and love it...it's a beautiful plant!!

-Bill J.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
peruvian flora

Some species of cissus are from Peru and they look interesting. Don't know about the broms though. I recently got some passion flower vines and they seem to be doing well. Many passiflora species are from Peru. If you have good (high) lighting they do well, but I don't know if they will ever flower in terrarium conditions.

Good luck!

Justin

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I have always wanted to try some of the passiflora species in my tanks, but figured they are all too small. They are awesome plants, with amazing flowers! I also like most of their leaves, so if they didn't flower it wouldn't bother me... but I still think they would only work in very large tanks, with a lot of height to them.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've never thought of planting passiflora in a tank, but it sounds cool. I have grown them in containers and they have nice leaves and flowers.
Neal

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Yeah, they are amazing plants... but grow very large (vine everywhere). I thought about them, as I wanted more flowering plants and many of them are native to the same areas of darts (or at least the same country of origin). If anyone has had success with them please speak up :D .

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Can't belive I missed this post...something I'm also seeking...
Interestingly enough (in my best Cliff Clavin voice) I think I remember reading that imitator (closely related to intermedius) actually prefer stands of heliconia, and use the bracts of those to deposit tads in (versus broms)

·
Registered
260 Posts
justin,

how do you keep the passion flowers contained? i grow them outside, but the vines get 30+ feet long.

·
Registered
298 Posts
pasiflora does not grow anywhere as rampant under flour lights. Just keep it cut back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts