Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to set up some tanks, one for bassleri and one for pepperi. Just wanted to see what the best set up would be.

I've heard they need a large tank... I have two 40 longs (36x18x13), would they be adequate. Or do they need more height? Obviously bigger is better. I should state that I plan on putting 4 or 5 in each tank. and they will be HEAVILY planted! I've heard all kinds of stuff... like people are breeding them in 10 gallon set ups and some cant get them to do anything in 90gal plus set ups!!

Also, I've heard some people say they need a water feature for tad deposition. Does it need to be moving water? Or just a stagnate pool?? How big??

Pics would be great with detailed dimension information. Thanks in advance!!!

JP

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I'm getting ready to set up some tanks, one for bassleri and one for pepperi. Just wanted to see what the best set up would be.

I've heard they need a large tank... I have two 40 longs (36x18x13), would they be adequate. Or do they need more height? Obviously bigger is better. I should state that I plan on putting 4 or 5 in each tank. and they will be HEAVILY planted! I've heard all kinds of stuff... like people are breeding them in 10 gallon set ups and some cant get them to do anything in 90gal plus set ups!!

Also, I've heard some people say they need a water feature for tad deposition. Does it need to be moving water? Or just a stagnate pool?? How big??

JP
40s are good enough, but not for 5 of these guys. i would say no more than a trio. they are big frogs, and will use ALL the space in the tank. i have a moving water feature in mine, they love sitting in, on and around it(look behind and to the left of the brom).

·
Registered
2,402 Posts

JP
A small pond is sufficient. I am breeding both black bassleri and yellow/gold pepperi and both tanks only have a small shallow pond. They are both group of 4. The bassleri are in a 50 wide and the pepperi in a 30 cube. They will use all of the viv. Males will perch on sturdy plants to call from.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Water isn't needed but a small pond will allow them to deposit tads.

Size of enclosure isn't important (they can be bred in a 10G as well as in a 120G). Rather, setup and conditions are key. Most importantly, have a large selected of large aroids in the tank on which the frogs can roost.

Bassleri/pepperi are relatively easy to maintain and breed when given the appropriate conditions.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
now im curious to see what you guys have set up... any links to pics?

mine roost everynight in the orchid, one on each leaf like they are in small condos hahah

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
now im curious to see what you guys have set up... any links to pics?

mine roost everynight in the orchid, one on each leaf like they are in small condos hahah
similar situation. I have a ginger plant in with the black bassleri and I have anthirium and Xanthosoma with the pepperi.

If I manage to take pics anytime soon i'll post them.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Stem,

How many would be ok in a 40 breeder? I'll have lots of plants, aroids and others in there.

Also, what other consideration should I give to the environment?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Hey Stem,

How many would be ok in a 40 breeder? I'll have lots of plants, aroids and others in there.

Also, what other consideration should I give to the environment?

Thanks
I'd go with a 4.1 or 3.1 group. You really want to avoid multiple females as you will have some egg eating.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great info everyone!! I really appreciate the help. I'll be getting them as unsexable babies so not sure on my male to female ratios. But I am going to get 4 I guess. Hopefully will end up as 3.1.

What about other set up concerns? Temps the same as other pdf's?? Humidity etc?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts