Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I noticed my peperomias in the front was looking bad so I look at the other One and it is almost non existent.
They were fine until these bugs showed up in my viv again but the only way they can be at fault is if they are eating at the base of the plants.
People say they are springtails so if they are then it must be something with the conditions or something idk.
Seems like they are rotting.
I pulled the one in the front up out of the soil just in case it was getting to much and also to see if the bugs are feeding at the base of the plant.

Here is my conditions...
Substrate: ABG
Water: Distilled
Lighting: 2 26watt 6500k daylight bulbs
Temp: fluctuates between 75-80 degrees...never below 70.
Humidity I know is at the least is around 90% or more
There are currently no frogs in the tank.
I have an air circulation system

They are both placed pretty much on the sides against the glass and I'm thinking maybe there is just too much moisture there however the peperomia in the last pic is in the same spot but just on the opposite side of the one that is pretty much non existent. Although the peperomia in the last pic is a different kind.

Here is some pics...maybe I just have them placed wrong :/
front one:

The one on the right side(red arrows):

Here is where they are placed:

This is a different kind of peperomia and it is doing great.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Are you allowing the plant leaves enough time to dry before turning out the lights after you mist?

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Are you allowing the plant leaves enough time to dry before turning out the lights after you mist?
I only mist like once or twice a day and in most vivs nothing ever gets to dry completely. Unless it is up top like my tillandsias.
My viv stays pretty moist.

Didn't you say that they got vinegar on them? That is probably useful information for anyone trying to help you figure out what is going on.
nah the peperomia on the right was no where near the vinegar.
I thought that was the cause but I was wrong :p

I'm thinking it might possibly be too moist up against the glass.
I pulled them up and put them in the center under the light and seeing if that helps.

·
Registered
253 Posts
It's simply much too wet in your viv. I'm not sure if you just misted before the picture was taken, but everything looks absolutely soaked. I can't see what kind of ventilation your viv has, but there looks to be very little. Humidity is good, but I've found the whole 80%+ rule of thumb to be more detrimental than beneficial. Especially if you don't have enough ventilation. Let your viv dry out a bit (lot.) and cut way back on your misting. It may be too late for the plant though.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
It's simply much too wet in your viv. I'm not sure if you just misted before the picture was taken, but everything looks absolutely soaked. I can't see what kind of ventilation your viv has, but there looks to be very little. Humidity is good, but I've found the whole 80%+ rule of thumb to be more detrimental than beneficial. Especially if you don't have enough ventilation. Let your viv dry out a bit (lot.) and cut way back on your misting. It may be too late for the plant though.
I only mist once or twice a day if I cut way back I wouldn't be misting.
I think you're right tho about it being to moist but just on the outer edge against the glass. Water stays collected there.
it has good ventilation and it only stays soaked along the glass with the ABG mix up against it. I have looked at the ABG and it its not soggy or waterlogged anywhere in the viv except for the sides.
If this was pertaining to my entire viv then a lot of the plants would be rotting.
I don't mist nearly as much as anyone and I have grain drainage.
Not trying to dismiss what you say cause I think it applies to the outer edge so I think I will just move them to a different part.

here is some pics to show my ventilation and some pics of my ABG and other shots.

see it's really not all that wet

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree it looks a bit soggy all though it's hard to tell from the pics.How long do you mist each time?Some plants like it wetter and will do well while others will rot in the same conditions.

Lou
I figured out what it was...
You know how you have condensation built up on your glass?
well it's like that between the glass and the substrate and I planted them in between the glass and substrate to watch the roots grow....bad idea lol.
It is just way too moist right there for them.

My substrate isn't soggy tho.
I have ABG mix in my springtail culture and it's soggy and there is a huge difference.
I got this ABG mix from fieldnstream and he can tell you this stuff drains super well.
If you could see it in person you would see it isn't soggy :D

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
That does look a little too moist. You would probably be fine just spraying every other day or just lightly misting once a day. Compare your substrate pic with the one of mine (which is exactly the same)...see how mine is moist but not sopping, that is right after I misted, it is usually a little drier than that.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That does look a little too moist. You would probably be fine just spraying every other day or just lightly misting once a day. Compare your substrate pic with the one of mine (which is exactly the same)...see how mine is moist but not sopping, that is right after I misted, it is usually a little drier than that.
it looks exactly the same.
My camera has a stupid flash on it lol and it makes it look more moist due to the light shining off of it.
Mine looks identical to the pic you just showed me :)

now against the glass it is pretty moist so I won't plant up against the glass anymore

those are some good looking frogs :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
I only mist once or twice a day if I cut way back I wouldn't be misting.
In that case you don't need to cut back on the number of times you mist per day, but certainly the amount you are misting per every time you mist. I have almost no condensation on the glass in any of my vivs. Of course results will vary based on the given temps inside and outside of the vivs etc etc, but I just wanted to point that out as I believe the rule of thumb about condensation on the glass can be wrong as well. You mentioned you have a drainage layer... How much water is it holding?

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In that case you don't need to cut back on the number of times you mist per day, but certainly the amount you are misting per every time you mist. I have almost no condensation on the glass in any of my vivs. Of course results will vary based on the given temps inside and outside of the vivs etc etc, but I just wanted to point that out as I believe the rule of thumb about condensation on the glass can be wrong as well. You mentioned you have a drainage layer... How much water is it holding?
I mist for like 10 seconds.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
you dont need to mist every day. some of my tanks could easily go for a week or more without misting.

each tank is different but there should be no need to mist that often unless there is some serious air exchange happening.

im no plant expert and when it comes to tropicals, i kill as many plants as i continue to keep alive, but i would have also pointed out that it seems too wet.

james

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I would agree with that. They need to dry out between watering. Especially if they are still wet when the lights go out. That's going to cause leaves to rot.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
you dont need to mist every day. some of my tanks could easily go for a week or more without misting.

each tank is different but there should be no need to mist that often unless there is some serious air exchange happening.

im no plant expert and when it comes to tropicals, i kill as many plants as i continue to keep alive, but i would have also pointed out that it seems too wet.

james
it's only too wet on the glass due to condensation but that's common and there is loads of moisture there between the glass and the substrate and that's where I planted them lol. So that's where I went wrong.
I shouldn't have planted them there since there is too much moisture.
Every other plant in my viv is just fine :D

a good way to test if your viv is too soggy IMO is to stick you finger into the substrate and if your finger is pretty wet then it is too moist.
I have done so and my finger is only a bit damp.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
i dont understand.

is your substrate too wet?
it's only too wet on the glass due to condensation but that's common and there is loads of moisture there between the glass and the substrate and that's where I planted them lol. So that's where I went wrong.
I shouldn't have planted them there since there is too much moisture.
or just damp?
a good way to test if your viv is too soggy IMO is to stick you finger into the substrate and if your finger is pretty wet then it is too moist.
I have done so and my finger is only a bit damp.
either way your probably better letting things dry a little more. its just a suggestion take it or dont, but thats what i would do.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would agree with that. They need to dry out between watering. Especially if they are still wet when the lights go out. That's going to cause leaves to rot.
but this isn't the case tho....the leaves dry up before the lights turn off.
MY substrate is fine.............
It is really moist between the glass and the substrate and that's where I put the peperomias. That's where I went wrong.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i dont understand.

is your substrate too wet?

or just damp?

either way your probably better letting things dry a little more. its just a suggestion take it or dont, but thats what i would do.
Just where the glass and the substrate meet it's too wet and I won't plant there anymore.
Only in this area.
Only against the glass.

I figured out the issue
Thread is dead :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts