Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if anyone sees an advantage of coco over peat in foam and silicone backgrounds. I've used peat in the past with no issues but I'm doing 2 more enclosures (maybe adding a water feature) and wanted to hear some opinions.
Thanks!
Ed

G

·
from all the research, it seems that coco lasts a lot longer than peat before it breaks down. Plus peat is not really environmentally friendly. go with coco.

G

·
Peat is more acid the coco. i use peat as an additive to the silicone when i want to promost moss growth. i mix the powdered spaghum peat with some sand and then pour onto the silicone covered back was, let dry, add moss gel and moss. works great. it's pH is 5 so it helps with keeping the moss alive.

G

·
Scott said:
Deven... are you talking about "Milled Sphagnum Moss" or "powdered spaghum peat" ?

s
it's called Scott's Sphagnum Peat Moss. it come in a powdered-very fine form. Milled is a better word i guess but it's still the same thing

·
Administrator
8,733 Posts
Terra5 said:
it's called Scott's Sphagnum Peat Moss. it come in a powdered-very fine form. Milled is a better word i guess but it's still the same thing
OK - that's quite a bit different than Milled Sphagnum Moss. Just wanted to make sure I knew what material you were talking about.

s

1 - 8 of 8 Posts