Dendroboard banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
So it came up that it would be a good idea if there was a general code of ethics for keeping and breeding darts. This would greatly help new converts. It may also help people get a general consensus about topics such as mixing of species and other commonly asked questions. Maybe we can compile the top answers and put them in a sticky.

WHAT ARE YOUR GENERAL CODE OF ETHICS FOR KEEPING DARTS?

*Original poster suggested a name change. I kept the 'old name' also for those who were tracking this thread. Idea is that most of these postings are personal opinions, and although many are quite reasonable and non-controversial, no universally agreed upon CODE is implied or firmly established.
SPH

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
1. I will not intentionally create hybrid offspring, nor will I ever introduce accidental hybrid offspring into the hobby. I recognize this to be a threat to keeping pure species and the general health of the animals involved. I also respect that other breeders go through great length to keep "pure" bloodlines and would not want to threaten that work with hybrids.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
2. When acquiring frogs, I will use my best efforts to find out everything I can about the origin of the frogs and any locality / line information. If the frogs breed and I give or sell the offspring to another person, I will pass on all of this information to them so that they can keep track of their genetics as well.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
3. I will not purchase illegally imported, exported or otherwise illegally obtained animals and I will only purchase imported animals from sustainably harvested stock and from sources that use proceeds to support conservaton of wild amphibians.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Mywebbedtoes said:
1. I will not intentionally create hybrid offspring, nor will I ever introduce accidental hybrid offspring into the hobby. I recognize this to be a threat to keeping pure species and the general health of the animals involved. I also respect that other breeders go through great length to keep "pure" bloodlines and would not want to threaten that work with hybrids.
If enough people join the Amphibian Steward Network and register their animals, we will be able to drop this one from the code because there will be an easy way to maintain "pure" lines without relying on peer pressure.

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
4. I will get new vitamins every six months. I will get new vitamins every six months. I will get new vitamins every six months. I will get new vitamins every six months. I will get new vitamins every six months. I will get new vitamins every six months. I will get new vitamins every six months!

5. I will research every animal obtained BEFORE it is brought home. I will learn how to culture FFs and springtails BEFORE the animal is purchased. I will plan ahead if cultures fail, and have someone I can depend on for FFs in an emergency.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
6) I will continually look to new ways of doing things (construction techniques, breeding, raising young, feeders, etc.) to help further the direction of the hobby.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
7) I will house my animals in adequately sized vivaria, following quarantine and fecal examination of new animals. For me, adequately sized vivaria are as follows.
a. no frog permanently housed in anything smaller than a 10 gallon tank (horizontal for terrestrials)
b. each medium sized terrestrial (leuc, dwarf tinc, etc) given at least 100 square inches of floor space (no more than 2 in a 10 gallon)
c. each large terrestrial (including most tincs) given at least 200 square inches of floor space
d. when at all possible, frogs are to be given more than the above-mentioned space

On a separate but related note, I will also continue to pick on those who house Bufo fowleri in small enclosures. :wink:

K

·
0 Posts
8)Instead of keeping more frogs, I will do more with the frogs I already keep. I will not impulsively attain frogs simply because I want them. First I will consider if I can take care of them, and if their needs will be met in times when I will not be around to take care of them.

·
Registered
19,312 Posts
Chris,

Are you considering only floor space and not other landscaping features that increase usable space? (say a series of easily scalable ledges wide enough for a large dendrobatid to sit on?)

Ed

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Ed,

I’m just stating what I think the minimums should be. It’s true that easily climbable logs and ledges increase the amount of space that terrestrial frogs have and they also serve to create visual barriers. I just consider those icing on the cake. I don’t think my minimums are too restrictive. 200 square inches of floor space per tink amounts to an area that the frog can cover in less than a minute.

·
Registered
19,312 Posts
Just asking for clarification.

Ed

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Grassypeak said:
Ed,

I’m just stating what I think the minimums should be. It’s true that easily climbable logs and ledges increase the amount of space that terrestrial frogs have and they also serve to create visual barriers. I just consider those icing on the cake. I don’t think my minimums are too restrictive. 200 square inches of floor space per tink amounts to an area that the frog can cover in less than a minute.
Sorry to be the ecologist nerd again. Another reason this is a good idea is because the substrate is the waste treatment plant of the vivarium and also where the production line for soil arthropods resides. So by sticking to those limits based on floor space, you are setting up some rules of thumb that provide a good chance for some sustainable supplemental food supplies.

Having said that, I have a viv that certainly violates your rule of thumb. It is a cylindrical ventrimaculatus vivarium with small floor space and lots of vertical space. The frogs seem fine with it but I've never been able to maintain much of a springtail colony in that viv.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
9) I will avoid buying wildcaught frogs at all costs. I will try my best to locate a captive bred frog before even considering wildcaught. Once found, I will do as much research as I can to find out were the frog came from, what bloodline it is from, and who bred it.

Reactions: Froggywv

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
10. I will do what is in my power to keep my frog(s) healthy even if this has added expense and effort. I will not buy animals I am unwilling or unable to reasonably care for and I will consider this before I purchase them. I will acknowledge that this is a living animal and not just an item for enjoyment or show and will treat it will a proper amount of dignity, as I would any other animal.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Good one Mark. I concur.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.