Dendroboard banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Depends on how close it would be to the enclosure and how warm it makes the room.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Will most likely be fine, but you'd want to monitor the set up for a while before adding frogs. You'll want to see what the internal temp gets up to during the day while it's running and you'll want to monitor how it affects the humidity.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Its about 7 feet away and it (and the furnace) keeps the room at 70-72 F (21.1-22.2 C)
I have a gas fireplace that heats the room just outside my frog room (door is always open) and I also have 2 vivariums out there as well with some geckos. It causes the humidity to drop, but otherwise no issues. I think heat is not the problem, it is the RH% drop. It causes me to have to mist more in Winter.

·
Super Moderator
3,642 Posts
Sorry, I missed the ventless part. Mine is not ventless.
Understandable if a person lives somewhere where such a thing doesn't even exist. The ventless part is the interesting part; personally, there is no way I would have such an appliance in my house, as the proper amount of combustion byproducts in the air is as near zero as I can reasonably attain.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Understandable if a person lives somewhere where such a thing doesn't even exist. The ventless part is the interesting part; personally, there is no way I would have such an appliance in my house, as the proper amount of combustion byproducts in the air is as near zero as I can reasonably attain.
How does it work? where do the byproducts of heat production go if they are not vented outside?

·
Registered
138 Posts
How does it work? where do the byproducts of heat production go if they are not vented outside?

They were used a lot here in the south east. You just use them and let the CO2 and water vapor go in the house. If it is the only source of heat the windows get pretty foggy.

They are not really a great idea. If given the choice I would not run one in my house. But, if was all I had I would use it but, be mindful that it is dumping the products of combustion into the air inside my house.

·
Registered
441 Posts
They were used a lot here in the south east. You just use them and let the CO2 and water vapor go in the house. If it is the only source of heat the windows get pretty foggy.

They are not really a great idea. If given the choice I would not run one in my house. But, if was all I had I would use it but, be mindful that it is dumping the products of combustion into the air inside my house.
Is there not risk of carbon monoxide poisoning as well?

·
Super Moderator
3,642 Posts
Is there not risk of carbon monoxide poisoning as well?
Acute poisoning cases have not been reported in the US from modern (those with a ODS safety pilot) vent free heating appliances as far as I could find. They're not very high BTU (so, don't use much gas), and tend to be used in homes that have more air infiltration than is the norm (extrapolating here from actual data that shows they are used much more in rural and lower-value homes), so there is a combination of factors at play in this fact.

Chronic exposure to CO (and NOx), though, is a real worry -- there are a slew of studies on this. Even gas cooking stoves should have a fan that vents to the outside.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Acute poisoning cases have not been reported in the US from modern (those with a ODS safety pilot) vent free heating appliances as far as I could find. They're not very high BTU (so, don't use much gas), and tend to be used in homes that have more air infiltration than is the norm (extrapolating here from actual data that shows they are used much more in rural and lower-value homes), so there is a combination of factors at play in this fact.

Chronic exposure to CO (and NOx), though, is a real worry -- there are a slew of studies on this. Even gas cooking stoves should have a fan that vents to the outside.
Yes, we have a gas stove in the kitchen as well and it is required to vent outside. Interesting. Thanks for the info!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts