Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've run planted and reef tanks in the past. Just recently I bought my wife a couple bumblebee walking toads as she is a huge frog fan. Well, having the addictive personality that I do, that was all it took to start a new addiction. :D

I learned many years ago in the different hobbies I have; if you are going to do it, do it right. I do have a budget, but I won't skimp on important things that will cost more to upgrade later. I have been going a ton of research and still have a bunch to learn, but have gleaned a bunch of great information off this site.

Tank - Exo Terra 36" x 18" x 36". I will be building a custom stand and hood for it. I will be drilling the tank and installing a bulkhead. I know most people don't recommend a water feature on starter tanks, but I'm confident I can pull if off. I also have enough room to work with that I think it will tie everything together nicely. I will be using a sump for water recirculation. If something can go wrong it will, and I don't want to deal with building around a pump inside the vivarium, and trying to remove it should it fail. A recirc pump down below in a 10 gallon will work nicely.

Composition - The usual. GS back wall with silicone and peat. I am trying to track down a large chunk of driftwood for the focal point, with some smaller pieces incorporated into the sides. The bottom will consist of a false bottom made of eggcrate covered in mesh with an AGB top layer.

Plants - I'm still researching these, so any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm looking at budgeting around 200.00 here. I'd like to start off slower obviously, and allow for some grow in before getting too carried away.

Lighting - I will be building a custom hood that will house 2 39 watt dimmable T5's. I want to be able to simulate dusk and dawn cycles. The hood will also incorporate a custom fan box that will be responsible for circulating air down the front of the terrarium.

Misting - Mist King system. I'm not sure whether I am going to use 2 or 3 nozzles. Any input here would be great too.

Timer - EcoZone EZ400 controller. Being a tech junkie I can't pass up any gadget, let alone one that makes life easier. :)

Inhabitants - 5 Leucs.

Time frame - 30-45 days for the tank to be up and running. 45 days before any chance of inhabitants after completion.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Sounds like your doing your research. One thing I wanted to point out however, you will have to replace the screen top with a glass top. Leaving the screen top on and using fans to pull outside air across the bulbs (heating it) and then into the tank will lead to a hot tank with low humidity. Air movement is good, but it needs to be humid air to keep the plants and frogs healthy. Internal air circulation is better than forced ventilation.

·
Registered
19,312 Posts
To the clear, are you constructing the tank for dendrobatids or for the bumblebee toads (Melanophryniscus). I have to ask since the bumblebee toads require a much different habitat if you want them to last.

Ed

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
One thing I wanted to point out however, you will have to replace the screen top with a glass top. Leaving the screen top on and using fans to pull outside air across the bulbs (heating it) and then into the tank will lead to a hot tank with low humidity. Air movement is good, but it needs to be humid air to keep the plants and frogs healthy. Internal air circulation is better than forced ventilation.
I planned on having a glass top cut to cover it. The fans will be for internal circulation only. They will not pull from, or vent air to, the outside.

To the clear, are you constructing the tank for dendrobatids or for the bumblebee toads (Melanophryniscus). I have to ask since the bumblebee toads require a much different habitat if you want them to last. Ed
*edit*

It will be for dendro's. The bumblebee toads currently have their own vivarium, a small Zoo med enclosure. It is a basic design with *gasp* fake plants and a simple background with substrate.

Ed, that being said, what habitat is required for the toads? There is not a lot of information on them on the net. I found a couple clips on recommendations which I have been adhering to. Temps range from 65-72, and humidity from 60-80. They are fed fruit flies twice a day. There is only a small water dish in the corner. Plenty of hiding places in the tank, which they seem to occupy most of the day.

·
Registered
19,312 Posts
Just making sure as what the hobby considers an appropriate dendrobatid tank is not for those toads..

Many of the Melanoprhyniscus are found in savannah style habitats and while there is some argument as to speciation and subspecies for the imports, it is generally considered that those guys are from a grassland style enviroment. This is a good caresheet for them Bumble Bee Walking Toad - Melanophryniscus stelzneri (Weyenbergh, 1875) - Care and Breeding

Ed

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was like a kid at Christmas when this bad boy showed up. It arrived on a pallet. I about gave myself a hernia moving it to my basement for construction.

I tossed my helmet on it for reference. First stop, time to fire up the table saw and router and build me a stand. :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
I did a water feature in my first built. No regrets. My tank is the jr version of yours. With good research, I think you can pull it off. There is ton of knowledge to draw from on this board. I must've driven fellow froggers nuts with all my questions but they were exteremely helpful and patient. Now get started on that build! Goodluck, Alex

1 - 8 of 8 Posts