Dendroboard banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a little 12V PC fan running off a 12V transformer cooling some lights and it works fine.
Question...
I have a couple more little 12V fans kicking around but for the next application I don't really want it blowing full blast.
If I can find a lower voltage transformer (maybe 5 or 6 V or something) will that safely reduce the air flow?
Or
I have this little IKEA plug in dimmer thing IKEA | Light bulbs & batteries | Accessories | DIMMA | Cord dimmer switch that reduces the power output, I've tried it and it works - I'm just concerned if there's some glaring safety issue I'm not considering.

·
Registered
725 Posts
yes a lower voltage plug in will reduce the fan speed. Just make sure the amperage on it is higher than the amperage of the fan. I don't see a problem using the dimmer switch.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
yes a lower voltage plug in will reduce the fan speed. Just make sure the amperage on it is higher than the amperage of the fan. I don't see a problem using the dimmer switch.
Agreed. The danger comes in trying to run, for instance, a 1 amp fan, with a 1/2 amp power supply. You also don't want to run a fan with higher voltage than it is rated for.

Reactions: Shade71
1 - 3 of 3 Posts