·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
commonly used and called a "drip wall" in terrariums.

on an unrelated note: be careful choosing your avitar from others pictures (particularly one thats already a sponsor's avitar) ;)

james

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was actually referring to the felt method. I have seen many drip walls, as far as I knew they are GS or clay, etc.

And the avatar was from google, no I didn't check everyone's avatar before using it, I just love the pic. :). When I get my own frogs will for sure be using my own pics, until then it stays the same, although I'm liking yours so maybe... ;)

·
Registered
797 Posts
Most drip walls are made from tree fern panels or products like EcoWeb & EpiWeb. I'm not sure about some kind of 'felt method' because when someone says 'felt' I think of a soft cushy pad - not a strong growing medium for plants.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is a synthetic felt and actually surprisingly strong. I have never seen epiweb, so I can't compare. Patrick Blanc does entire buildings out of this stuff, so I would imagine it's very durable. Would be interesting do give it a shot. I just worry about felt leeching some ki d of chemicals.

·
Registered
552 Posts
As mentioned it looks similar to epiweb. if you look closely you can definitely see some fibers that look to be more coarse than the felt used for blankets, etc. If it's completely synthetic and doesn't have any binding agents, I don't see why it couldn't be used. The only thing I'd worry about is how "wild" the fibers are. If it's not very tightly woven I'd worry about little frog legs getting caught in threads.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, not exactly- though that is an awesome tank. There is a post in the plant section called living wall. That is exactly the felt method I was referring too.

Here is the link to his video. Brians Botanicals Living Wall - YouTube

·
Registered
543 Posts
I work at Plant Delights Nursery in Raleigh, and Patric has used plants from us in at least 2 projects in Charlotte, the last one he did was in Early September. I was very impressed with the plants he was using and the way he was using them. Just a side note.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Were any of the plants viv appropriate?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Were any of the plants viv appropriate?
Depends on the size of the viv. He used some Hedychium gingers. A Silver leaved Begonia from Malaysia we sell, which I would think would do well in a tank, as they seem to love our propagation house. We have a large number of plants in stock, and I know most of them on sight, as I am in propagation at work, so I do cuttings and potting and divisions on most of them, and I am very good at plants, not to toot my own horn, but it is how it is. He used a ton of plants from us. We do have over 17,000 different plants in the garden and a fairly large number of these we do grow for sale in our stock houses. I'd say there are several thousand different species and cultivars available for sale when people come to visit us. We are always adding new plants to the garden.

Sorry I got off on a tangent.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hahaha, tangent is appreciated! I'll look you up online. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts