Dendroboard banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would this vine do good in a viv, the fruit is delicious and it has amazing flowers.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The species i have isnt too big, the flowers are only about 1.5 inches diamiter. Certain species though, get up to 6 inch flowers.

Thank for your help.

Ryan

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Thats cool! Did you plant them originally or something? If so, and they winter over they might not like the constant level conditions of a terrarium... but you never know and I am surely not an expert on these plants lol. If you ever have any extra seeds or something I may be interested in some. Feel free to PM or email me. Thanks and good luck.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Once it fruits ill prolly beable to send some. No fruit now, but hasnt been there a whole year yet, came in the middle of winter. I" think a bird dropped seeds there somehow. At a statepark it grows wild also. Its pretty hardy from what i have seen. At first i ripped it down thinking it was another pesty ivy of some sory, but then it flowered and i fell in love! :D

·
Registered
370 Posts
It is a pretty flower. I doubt it will do well in a viv because of the high light requirement and because it is a temperate species. It is common in fields, edges and disturbed habitats through out the Southeastern US. There are several tropical species i see for sale regularly in my area, they may be a better choice.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
To bring this back from the dead...how bout P. caerulea?

We've got a vine in the backyard that is maybe 7 ft high and is flowering. That should be manageable viv size for large vivs especially if it branches or borders the top but it will take up a lot of space. Guess you'd have to trim alot though?

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Bumping this up. Has anyone tried it? Someone out there has to kow of a few of the dwarf species...

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Guessing that would be Passiflora incarnata(Maypop). Flowers should be brilliant red.

I think if no one is up to trying Passiflora in a viv I might go first...but would need to get a cutting to try. Also, it'd need to be a Costa Rican species to fit with my current attempt to make a biotope.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts