Dendroboard banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Philly area dendroboard get together has been suggested to me. Going to the sumerfest at Parksid orchids on July 31 or Aug. 1 would be a worthwhile event. J.& L. orchids and Mountain Orchids will be their. They have lots of terrarium appropriate stuff as does Parkside orchids. Last year Justin Y. and I went. We went to a lecture by Lynn O'Shaughnessy from the Pleurothallid Alliance and spent the day looking at lots of cool plants. For more info on the Sumerfest go to
http://www.parksideorchids.com/index.htm and look under summerfest.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Great suggestion Michael. I was thinking about suggesting this myself, as I hope to go no matter what and think it would be a good chane to meet up with other froggers/orchids lovers. So as of right now, count me in... but I still have to check my calendar.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jonathon,
Then we'll count on it. I'm going anyhow. last year I spent all day circling the tables deciding what to get. I bought a bunch of stuff right before we left. Parkside has 5 or 6 greenhouses. They put up 1 or 2 huge tents that vendors from other greenhouse bring plants for sale and have booths. It's mostly orchids with lots of appropriate stuff for terrariums.
Sunday is probably best for me. We can talk shortly before the show. If we set up a place and time to meet we should have several froggers show up. I know it's close to Walt and their are lots of froggers in Pa.

G

·
I too would be interested in going again this year. It was a great event last year. I'm not sure if Beth Off will be there this year-- last year her dad was there representing them. I know this year I hope to get a few more orchids than my one last year. Anyone who has never been there will surely be astounded at the sheer number of orchids at very reasonable prices.
J

·
Registered
976 Posts
this year i will try to go. last year was debating but didn't go. hey maybe we could have a frog vendor to go along with the orchids. :D
walt

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Either july 31 or Aug 1 works for me. I got the Pin yanked from my thumb today and will still be off work for the Parkside show. My preference is Saturday but Sunday would be o.k. If their is anybody coming that can't make it Saturday let us know and we can schedule it for Sunday.
Right now I'm planning on Saturday. I'd like to get their early. We could all go out for lunch together. We can just hang out, B.S., and see the show.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
O.K. I'll be their http://www.parksideorchids.com A little after 9:00 a.m. July 31. I'll see everything, go out for lunch, make my purchases and be gone by about 2:00. If you want to get together come and wear a dart frog t-shirt. Their is a funny little diner we can go to for lunch. Vendors are Arbec orchids, Brennan's orchids, Creative Hydroponics, Lois Duffin Orchids, Fishing Creek orchids, Floradise orchids, Garden indoors, J&L orchids, The Little Greenhouse, Kelley's Korner orchid supplies, Main street orchids, Mountain orchids, Orchidphile, Orchid art, Parkside orchids, Stoney Brook Orchids, Waldor orchids, and Woodstream orchids. I'll be checking out J.& L., Parkside, and Mountain Orchids the most.

Be their or be square.
Michael

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We had a grand turn out. It was Walt, me and a buddy I dragged along. I got a nice Bulbophyllum orchid. I'm going to nock off a day in the fall to go to the Pleurathallid thing.

·
Registered
269 Posts
This is a great event and there are alot of great orchid growers attending this year. I'd love to go and catch-up with friends but I live too far away to make a weekend trip. Can one of you say hey to Walt/Beth at Waldor, Bill & Lynn from Woodstream, and of course Tom and John for me.
Michael, Woodstream is the exclusive seller in the states for an orchid grower from Panama. They have some cool stuff on their site. You may be able to get them to bring you something short notice. If not their GH is just outside of DC.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts