Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Looks like a big holding facility for pumilio and possible breeding facility for auratus. I'd like to see closeups of the inside of the cages to see if auratus are in small groups or are they just holding tanks for the auratus?

Also, what is up with upside down cups for the pumilio?

·
Registered
373 Posts
This looks a lot like the other frog farm pics I've seen before. I would guess they collect wild frogs and eventually they are going to have some reproduction. Hard to tell whether the frogs they are sending really are bred on the facility or just collected and sold as farm raised.

·
Registered
976 Posts
my question is why is there 2 posts on this farm.
i just read about it on rnkot post.
unless time wise this was posted before the other one was. i never look at the posting times.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Two separate conversations. His was posted in the classifieds. Mine was posted as a means of furthering conversations about the status of this frog farm.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
looks pretty good to me.

and isnt that the point? take some wild animals put them in an enclosure and get breeding? i mean we can all guess at whether they are breeding or not, but IMO its just that. a guess.

as far as the set up it looks fairly well thought out, although i think i'd like to see a shipment that big get a little better packaging, they seem to have the basics of the boxes down.

james

·
Administrator
8,796 Posts
Actually - it was posted in "Vendor Information". I can't tell what the heck his point is, so I moved it to general.

It looks like he's just parroting an ad he received? He's not trying to sell anything himself.

But yeah - show us some closeups of eggs/tads and maybe we might be more convinced.

s
Two separate conversations. His was posted in the classifieds. Mine was posted as a means of furthering conversations about the status of this frog farm.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
looks pretty good to me.

and isnt that the point? take some wild animals put them in an enclosure and get breeding? i mean we can all guess at whether they are breeding or not, but IMO its just that. a guess.

as far as the set up it looks fairly well thought out, although i think i'd like to see a shipment that big get a little better packaging, they seem to have the basics of the boxes down.

james
I think there is a reasonable chance that auratus are being bred in decent numbers, but the pumilio were in such a huge density, I think any eggs would be eaten or stomped on.

I should add, that calling it a farm, at least for pumilio is a misnomer. It is just not cost effective to rear these frogs to adult size and sell them for $5-$10 when you can pay pennies to locals to catch them. Sure there will be accidental breeding successes but nothing regular (for pumilio).

·
Banned
4,938 Posts
Actually - it was posted in "Vendor Information". I can't tell what the heck his point is, so I moved it to general.

It looks like he's just parroting an ad he received? He's not trying to sell anything himself.

But yeah - show us some closeups of eggs/tads and maybe we might be more convinced.

s
I believe he was asking for information on if the frogs were actually farmed, as opposed to wild collected, and just thrown in elaborate pens. As to skirt exportation laws

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I have a feeling this is a fairly old website--I think I recall seeing images of a facility very similar to these ones a number of years ago. This might just be a defunct project/site.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Similar pictures were post by Marcus while back, but not all exact. When looking at the domain and website properties it looks to be created in January 2011.
First mention of this farm in my russian forums is from 23 dec 2010
EXIF info of photos shows them to be created 16 jan 2011

And those threads on BD goes even to 2007

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
I think there is a reasonable chance that auratus are being bred in decent numbers, but the pumilio were in such a huge density, I think any eggs would be eaten or stomped on.

I should add, that calling it a farm, at least for pumilio is a misnomer. It is just not cost effective to rear these frogs to adult size and sell them for $5-$10 when you can pay pennies to locals to catch them. Sure there will be accidental breeding successes but nothing regular (for pumilio).
There are reports in the literature of high densities of pumilio under certain conditions (like that shown in the photo in Lotter et al). The thing that is suspicious to me is that the pictures can't be blown up by clicking on them.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
There are reports in the literature of high densities of pumilio under certain conditions (like that shown in the photo in Lotter et al). The thing that is suspicious to me is that the pictures can't be blown up by clicking on them.
Why is that suspicious? That takes an extra programing step and they probably figured the pics were already big enough.

Edit: Some of the pics on the other pages (I only checked the pumilio page) do blow up, but not all of them.

Also, could it be that some of the group pics were staged? There is one with a bunch of Mancreeks on a breeding pole at a very high density, but none visible on the plants or ground. Could it be they were collected from the pen and then dumped in the one spot for the picture? I hate to see people jump to conclusions based on a few pictures when you don't know any of the circumstances behind those pics.

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
The pictures that I would have liked to able to enlarge to get a good idea of what is going on are those of the tubs and other rearing containers. If they could be enlarged to show what is going on in the tub, it would lend more credulence to the site.
The pictures were taken in a manner that doesn't show detail which would enable a person to make a idea on what is going on.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I just emailed them (in english and spanish) as an interested wholesale purchaser to get a sheet and trade references.

We shall see....

PS
Anyone have any powder blue tinc females or know where to get some?

·
Registered
359 Posts
The pictures that I would have liked to able to enlarge to get a good idea of what is going on are those of the tubs and other rearing containers. If they could be enlarged to show what is going on in the tub, it would lend more credulence to the site.
The pictures were taken in a manner that doesn't show detail which would enable a person to make a idea on what is going on.
That was the point why i posted it on Vendor Info & Questions part of the forum.

I wish to find out if any one of you ever got shipments from this farm. To hear your opinion if this farm looks like a breeding facility, or just a storrage for sorting wild animals.

As Ed I didn't see any stuff for breeding efforts expect that upside down cups.

Also i indicated price list for my country in my topic.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts