Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are pictures of the actual greenhouses where the recent shipments of farm-raised pumilio are coming from. These are being posted with permission of both the importer, who is currently the only one bringing in pumilio, and the exporter who owns the farm. Please do not reproduce or use without permission.

This is one of 5 or 6 greenhouses on the propery. Each greenhouse is divided into 4 separate sections. Each greenhouse has a cement moat surrounding it to keep ants and other harmful insects out.

You can see from the plant growth that this project has been in the works for quite some time.

Here you can see some of the many artificial tadpole deposition sites. You can also see fruit on the ground which attracts and feeds the insects which the frogs then feed on.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Wow that's a cool way to look at where we get our frogs. Those that are wild caught/wild raised. It's kind of what I want to do to my basement. But my wife said no f*&%ing way.
Mike

G

·
Well..... that ends that debate :) It seemed like everyone was having such a good time disagreeing too. Really though, thank you for bringing this to everyone's attention. That is an absolutely amazing setup. If their operation is run 1/2 as well and ecologically responsible as it looks, I would be proud to purchase frogs from these people.

·
Registered
313 Posts
awesome, did you take the pics?
i want to see more! wish there where pics of the frogs too!
oh well guess i'll have to try and go there myself, not that they'd let me in
or anything but still, why am i so curious...

maybe the fact that the frogs are actually farm raised is why there are so many almirates and so few of the other morphs, maybe the other morphs just aren't putting out the quantities... do these farms raise alot of the GB's?
i guess the gb's have a much higher output and the farmer's are trying to move them...
ok i'm rambling i have a bunch of other thoughts that i guess can't be answered either

thanks for the pictures

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Wow now this is what I have been waiting for. I was just talking to one of the guys at the New England meeting on how im really waiting for some pics of this operation to come out and I knew they had to be around some where other wise something was fishy. It does look great but im still skeptical that all the frogs are coming form that farm. Thats alot of Auratus to be pumping out along with the pums. But seeing how this can be done it would be great if more of these frog farms could start up over there or other countrys so the boys and gals over here and europe could enjoy more of these frogs and mabey even for cheaper.

G

·
The farm has been going for a few years now. That is why there have been such a large number of adults available. In regards to the volume of auratus produced, ask anyone who has bred these frogs, they are extrememly prolific and several years of worth of breeding will produce a very large number of frogs.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
They were up last night for me, but not anymore. I think it looks great, makes me wish i could do something, but probally would have to cool the greenhouse.

I think that the server is down, because i went to his website and it was down.

Ryan

·
Registered
213 Posts
Now, THAT is a frog room... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Our tropical climate will sure be perfect for such a setup! Now the only thing I need are the frogs! :p

bluetip

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Who is in charge of this operation and does anyone know if there are plans on starting up more of these in Panama. The start up costs must be really cheap and the turn arounds gotta be pretty good with an enclosure that size let alone multaple ones. And as they can see they would have no prob moving frogs. But I would really hate to see pums and other frogs coming over in such numbers that even the local PetSmart is selling them for 20$.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Part of the charm of the frogs is that not every knuckle head (i.e., kids - I was guilty of killing many a fish when I was younger) can get them. Petco or Petsmart getting them would be a nightmare...I can see a lot of dead frogs from people who really don't care abou them.

G

·
yeah i don't know if i really like the idea of a bunch of frog farms popping up. it's nice for now...but unevitably if it catches on then you have more people doing it, the quality of care goes down because they just want to make a quick buck, and the frogs suffer. and if pet stores started selling these....it'd really be a shame.

G

·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who is in charge of this operation and does anyone know if there are plans on starting up more of these in Panama. The start up costs must be really cheap and the turn arounds gotta be pretty good with an enclosure that size let alone multaple ones
The individual who owns this is a private individual in Panama. As far as it is known there are no known plans for other people to do the same thing. Keep in mind that this individual has over 5 years invested in this farm. While the "start up costs may seem really cheap" this individual has had to do this with the governments ok and supervision. It is also not uncommon for exporters in other countries to establish c/b programs. That represents a great deal of time nd thus opportunity cost. This was all done without the guarantee of being able to export. He happens to be an avid frog lover himself.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts