Dendroboard banner

in auratus breeding groups...what is the best housing situation between these.

• 1 male 1 female

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2 males 2 females

• 1 male 2 females

• 2 males 1 female

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Welcome to the board! :D

Auratus do alright in groups. As long as you have enough space and hiding places, you can keep a group of them. As far as breeding goes, a pair is probably best. But a group would work too. Auratus are known to be easy breeders, so if you do infact have a pair, and you take good care of them, you should see eggs eventually.

Are you looking into getting some? Are they your first darts? Auratus make good first dart frogs.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
auratus

yes, i'm looking at getting some. i have leucs right now. i have the opportunity to possibly get some sexed so i'm trying to figure out what to do. i'm leaning toward 2 and 2.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I voted 2.2 only because there wasn't an "other" catagory. With auratus the more the merrier, as long as the space is sufficient.

Mike

·
Registered
561 Posts
I used to keep them in groups and could never get them to breed, I had a 2:2 group years ago and got a 2:3 group last year. I seperated the 2:3 group into 1:1 and 1:2 last month and have have pulled 3 clutches since then. I had them together for 8 months before that in a fairly large viv, males called every morning, even saw breeding behavior, but I never got any eggs.
Ed

·
Registered
284 Posts
Ed,

It is possible the females were eating each others eggs. I've never expereinced this myself but have a friend who had a large tank, 100 gallons or so with around ten auratus in it and the females would often eat each others eggs.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Brad, I have had femlaes eat each others eggs before. In those cases there was at least some evidence of an egg mass. With the aratus there was none. I think that the females were so intent on establishing and guarding potential nest sites that they never had time to lay. I also did not see them as much since they were always in the cocohuts or other nest sites
Ed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts