Dendroboard banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious if anyone knew at what age (i.e. 10 months) they reach sexual maturity? How soon have people seen their males calling?

Thanks

Justin

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kevin,

Thanks. Have you noticed any obvious differences between the sexes?

BTW- how are those vents?

Justin

G

·
Not trying to bully into the conversation here but my female vittatus is alot bigger then the males are.
Mark

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mark Wilson said:
Not trying to bully into the conversation here but my female vittatus is alot bigger then the males are.
Mark
Mark,

There's no bullying here. It's an open forum. Anyway, thanks. How much bigger? Is it similar to the size difference between male and female P. aurotaenia?

Justin

G

·
I'm not real sure on the size of auros.I can say she is probably about the size of one of my female auratus and he is smaller then a male auratus.They are very cool frogs to listen to.Mine have been in a 10g for about a year but they deserve a bigger home so I am going to set them up in a 20 high soon.From what Ben Green has told me his are very bold and mine are pretty shy but he said his were the same until he gave them room.His site has some of their calls on it and they are right on track as to their meanings.
Good luck,
Mark

·
Registered
850 Posts
I think my pair is a little strange because they are almost the exact same size. I think the female is not as big as she could be because when she was a juvenile she disappeared for about a month. We weren't sure if she escaped but we kept throwing fruitflies in anyway, not as much as usual though. When we decided to take apart the tank, guess who came hopping out of the dirt. I guess she dug herself a little hole.

One thing that might give away you have a pair, is their behavior even months before they will breed. In my experience, when the male is calling, the female will pounce him. I'm not talking aggressive back rubbing, she body slams him. And this makes the male call even louder and more often. The male was always the one on the bottom.

The vents are doing great. I have about 20 froglets out of water from them. I am holding back about 10 for our 40 gal long vertical display tank we are making. The pair have stopped breeding though. Haven't gotten any clutches from them in two or three months. Oh well, they probably need the break. Male still call every day though, female is just being lazy i guess.

G

·
Oh yeah, that is a very good giveaway.I have seen the female vitt pounce on the male and that really gets him cranking.They are very interesting frogs to watch.
Mark

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys.

Glad the vents are doing well for you Kevin. It is normal for them to take a break. Mine have taken a break for about 2 months as well.

Justin

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
andersonii85 said:
I was just curious if anyone knew at what age (i.e. 10 months) they reach sexual maturity? How soon have people seen their males calling?

Thanks

Justin
My breeders were calling at about 4 months out of the water and bred successfully when the males were 6 months old. The females were quite a bit older and purchased as adults so I can't speak for when they reach maturity.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Brent,

Sweet. Thanks!

Justin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts