Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 P. vittatus that are simply always on the ground. They have a nice jungle, but they stay on the ground 100% of the time... Is this normal behavoir for this species? To clarify, I am in no way worried as they are healthy active frogs. Just wondering why they never go into the pothos for flies, etc... Most of my other darts prefer to poop higher up. Thanks!

JBear

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I have 2 P. vittatus that are simply always on the ground. They have a nice jungle, but they stay on the ground 100% of the time... Is this normal behavoir for this species? To clarify, I am in no way worried as they are healthy active frogs. Just wondering why they never go into the pothos for flies, etc... Most of my other darts prefer to poop higher up. Thanks!

JBear
Vittatus will climb but they generally seem like a leaf litter species. I do notice mine perched on sturdy plants, especially the males when they are calling.

How long have you had them? Sometimes vitatus seem to take a while to get adjusted and maybe once they feel more comfortable they will explore more of the viv.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vittatus will climb but they generally seem like a leaf litter species. I do notice mine perched on sturdy plants, especially the males when they are calling.

How long have you had them? Sometimes vitatus seem to take a while to get adjusted and maybe once they feel more comfortable they will explore more of the viv.
I have had them for about 6 months. I see them everyday, and they are becoming more tolerant of onlookers. They are easily the most attractive species I keep. Very underrated frog. They are small, have a pleasant call, and reproduce readily... What more could you want? LOL!

JBear

Attachments

Reactions: Mapp

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I've had my vittatus for around a month and am keeping them in a quarantine tank. I will say that other than when I first introduced them and they have not climbed. They are still really small and spend most of their time in and amongst the leaf litter.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Same here varanoid. My Vitatus just sit under leaf litter all day. I dont even see them come out to eat. But they are young yet, and hopefully will come out more as they grow. .

·
Registered
658 Posts
I bought 4 this past January as froglets, so they are about 9 months old. They still are shy. When the lights go out, the males call!! Pretty neat call. Hoping they will come out more as well. I hear them now. LIGHTS OUT GUYS :rolleyes: And yes, mine do not climb either. Always on the ground floor.

Reactions: jbherpin
1 - 7 of 7 Posts