Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hello everyone,

just a quick question on P. terribilis. i read that P. terribilis like temps a little lower on average. can anyone tell me what the ideal temp range is for these frogs and nightime variance in temps. i do not own them at this time but i am considering them in the future and would like to hear from breeders who are keeping them and breeding them succesfully.i appreciate the suggestions.:)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Im not a seasoned owner of them but have two unsexed right now and I can tell you that when I first was building their cage and letting it acclimate that during the day time it was hovering around 78 to 79. When I decided to put the terribs in I noticed they were always under the leaf litter, unusual because in their quarantine I always saw them out and hunting.

After a few days of reading and considereing options I moved the tank down to a shelf where there was no light below it and put a small 6in fan (Clothing, Toys, Electronics, Jewelry, Jaclyn Smith - Kmart.com ) blowing across the lights and it dropped the day temps down to roughly 72-74 and now I see them freely roaming their new cage.

Like I said they are a new dart for me as Im accustom to thumbs, but from what i'm seeing they def prefer a lower day time temp. But im sure others will chime in.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
vinner thanks for posting your experience with them. before i consider adding them i'm doing as much research as possible to optimum temps. thanks again

·
Registered
275 Posts
No problem. They are awesome frogs. Smart little things too! When they here me tapping flys into the dusting cup the get ready right below the feeding spot.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've kept and bred Mints for a number of years and keep them in the mid 70's during the day and low 70's at night. There is a temperature gradient in the large tank that I keep my breeding colony in. This allows them to be able to seek out the temperature that they are most comfortable with.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've kept and bred Mints for a number of years and keep them in the mid 70's during the day and low 70's at night. There is a temperature gradient in the large tank that I keep my breeding colony in. This allows them to be able to seek out the temperature that they are most comfortable with.
thanks. so are you using something like a compact 6500k flourescent on one end of the tank to provide that gradient or something else like an undertank heater?. i don't really trust those undertank heaters too much but know that some people like them.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I just us a 50 watt basking bulb on the more open side of the tank. This way they can't climb any plants and get too close to the heat source.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts