Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to where one would find a relatively consistent source for the p. terribilis specie. I noticed a few for sale on a couple of different web sites, but it seems like there isn't really anywhere that a prospective buyer can go and expect to see the species consistently.

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
835 Posts
Take a look at our sponsors and the classifieds. I have been watching Terribilis like a hawk. There are prime regular providers for each of the color morphs. By prime, I am speaking of breeders with stellar reputations. I embrace the whole "pick the breeder or hobbyist/breeder, not the frog." I am uncomfortable recommending one breeder over another as there are three or four that I would happily purchase from with no particular preference.

If you're looking for a steal versus a deal, members here have froglets pretty regularly. Do your homework. While we are lucky here that the vast majority of folks here are top notch, just like everywhere else, we have our own village idiot or two.

·
Registered
708 Posts
There are usually a number of Terribilis in the classifieds. They are a gorgeous frog and, from what I understand, very prolific, so if you find someone with a pair they may have babies available fairly frequently. Maybe a PM or two could get you in touch with a great, reliable breeder, there are plenty on the board :)

I've had my eye on the orange morph for some time now, which are you interested in?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In all honesty, I like all of the morphs. The yellow are probably my favorite followed by the mint morph. From my understanding, the terribilis and the Azureas are the premier beginner dart frog enthusiast's first recommendations, closely followed by the leucs. I have been researching for about a month and have a 55 gallon tank as well as a 40 gallon breeder to begin making their enclosures.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Terribilis was a bit perplexing as I started doing my research for beginner species. I have always been curious as to why it is not even more popular that it is currently. I am unsure that it could be considered as popular as Azureus or Luecs. If they were, they would be far cheaper than they are.

One of the issues may be that because of their size, they require more floor space/larger enclosure than the majority of PDF's.

A 40 and a 55 are great sized tanks for them.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I think they are less popular than tincs and , first because of price, then because they take twice as long to reach breeding age, which adds to the expense. They are also pretty fragile as newly morphed froglets and losses happen. A good friend of mine has been breeding yellows for a long time. I see the amount of work and effort he puts in and completely understand why he charges what he does. He has lots of young now, but not sure they are ready yet. He also just got his second generation producing, but it is inferte so far. It will very likely take a year for them to turn around.
Another thing I have seen in terribilis from other sources is back deformations. This is likely from inbreeding as nearly all the terribilis morphs are from a single importation each.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts